London SE1 community website

How many on here shop down East Street Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Monday 26 October 2009 1.29am
East Lane isn't as good as it used to be, but is still the best place for bargains. My family has gone there for generations. My great grandmother used to go every Tuesday, (pension day) Fridays and Sundays after church. It wasn't all good value though - she once bought some tights that turned out to have only one leg!

Does anyone remember the clothes shop near the Walworth Road end where the shopkeeper would stand outside and practically drag you in and sell you stuff you didn't really want - I had a hideous coat bought for me when I was an ungrateful teenager and I was stuck with it for 2 years!
Monday 26 October 2009 8.46am
Auntie Pat, I remember that shop very well..as a youngster I went in and spent ALL my 3.5s pay on a beige coat and there was hell to pay because I had not given my Mum her money of 2.00! But I look back and think of all the characters from the market with a fondness now..the old blackcurrant man who sold the hot blackcurrant drink and bloody awful sarsaprilla...not a patch on Baldwins but according to him a hundred times better! the chestnut sellers, the lemon ice man..the taffee man...the man who sold reading glasses...apple fritter man..the little pet shop that in the forties my grand-dad told me was a zoo because it had a monkey in..
and here i go again....
Monday 26 October 2009 11.54am
I've seen real-SE1 boosting SE17's East Street market in a couple of threads over the weekend, and comparing it with Borough market.

I'm looking forward to the farmers market in Bermondsey Square, as it'll save me the current trek to Islington on a Sunday morning.

However, Borough isn't the only market in SE1. Don't forget Lower Marsh.

It's not as thriving as it used to be, but it is getting better. There's a variety of greengrocers. And it's open every day except Sunday.

What you can't get from the market stalls, you can get in one of the shops along the street.

And, unlike East Street, it really is in SE1.

(no connection, other than living locally and wanting to see it prosper)
Monday 26 October 2009 12.50pm
And I swear that I've seen monkey meat on sale at East (Lane) Street. Yum.
Monday 26 October 2009 8.51pm
I was looking at some tops on an East Street stall and asked if they were 'one size'. The stallholders reply was yes but he did have some for fat ladies - I'm only a size 12!
Tuesday 27 October 2009 1.22am
Jan I remember the hot blackcurrant and sarsaparilla stall - it smelt wonderful but we were never allowed to buy a drink there because they used to wash the glasses by just dipping them in hot water and my Nan said that was unhygienic!

When I was a teenager Lower Marsh was the place to buy clothes - we somehow thought it was trendier than the Lane. We always referred to Lower Marsh as "the Cut" - was that a general thing?
Tuesday 27 October 2009 7.57am
The sarsaparilla stall was the best your right. I loved it hot or cold.
Many fond memories having eaten some eels follwed by a hot sarsaparilla.
Tuesday 27 October 2009 9.06am
Auntie Pat, it was a constant puzzle to me too when my Mum used to call it The Cut, I wondr if as the name suggests there was marshes there and the 'cut' came because the water was shallow enabling you to 'cut' through!

For the rare occasions when we had new clothes Mum had the Provvy man around ( Provident man) and there was a shop in The Cut ..Pecroys where you could buy things with your Provvy cheques!
A shilling interest on every pound you borrowed!
Tuesday 27 October 2009 11.30am
I have a vague recollection of something that I hope someone out there can help with. Back in the early to mid 1950's I seem to remember a pub re-opening in the East Street market vaccinity called 'The Good Intent.' I can only assume that this pub had been closed down for some time and I can remember my parent's and grandparents arranging to go to this re-opening and I'm sure I went with them. (I probably stood outside with a lemonade and a bag of crisps as per usual!)My memoery may be playing tricks, but I think my grandfather said that was the pub where he had the sad job of meeting up with his best friend's family when he came home after the first world war and discribing how, when right beside him, this friend was killed going 'over the top.' Was there such a pub and if so where? Is it still standing? I surely could not have imagined all of this.
Tuesday 27 October 2009 1.24pm
Rambling Phil. It may be in SE1 but was not really used by the people in the area I lived. I used to work in Stamford Street in the 80s and used the market and there was nothing happening down there. East Street was a much larger market and in my opinion is not being helped by any of the new money people that have moved into SE1 and I would like to understand why? Its real not fake like the Borough market!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions