London SE1 community website

How many on here shop down East Street Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Tuesday 27 October 2009 4.02pm
I don't think the Bermondsey Square market has started yet. I think its starting on the 7th November((click here)).
Wednesday 28 October 2009 9.40am
Jan,
It was definitely the 'Good Intent' and I'm sure it was in, or very near East Street. Do you have any more info?
Wednesday 28 October 2009 9.51am
Thanks Phil, I may treck all the way to Islington one weekend.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 10.20am
I have asked my brother to confirm the Cottage of Content was on the right hand side of townsend street going towards to the Lane from old kent road. The Good Intent was near the walworth road end of the lane, still there not sure if it has had name change?
Wednesday 28 October 2009 11.50am
Thanks, Jan. You've pintpointed exactly where I thought it was, but I wasn't confident enough to suggest it as it's only a vague memory.
Thursday 29 October 2009 9.50am
if you go into the Good Intent (it's still there) for a pint, you might find it's all a bit TOO 'real'!
Thursday 29 October 2009 12.07pm
Not quite sure how to interpret that, Rex, but if you mean it's yet another good old pub ruined by becoming 'trendy,' then it wouldn't be the first. When I lived in Essex first time around we had a pub in the village called the 'Bull Inn,' dating back to the 16th century. It had a Tudor facade and was steeped in local history. (Legend had it that there were tunnels leading from beneath the pub out on to the marshes and were used by smugglers.)It was a lovely, cozy old pub and used to do a roaring trade. It had three bars, one with an open fire and a side room bar that our football club, and other local organisations, used to hire for AGM's etc. Then, sometime in the late 1970's it changed hands and was 'modernised.' The three bars were knocked in to one and all of a sudden it was loud music, fruit machines and bright lights. I never went in there agian after that. I may be a dynosaur these days, but i wasn't back then. It just lost all its appeal. If it aint broke...Don't fix it!
Thursday 29 October 2009 1.13pm
In the seventies there was a nice pub called The Porcupine in Mottingham, no music was allowed, not even a jukebox..wonder if it's still there with the same rules!
Thursday 29 October 2009 2.02pm
Great thread and love the one legged tight story from Aunty Pat.

I shop at both - Borough mkt and East Lane. I remember being taken to the East Lane when I was a kid when staying with my Dad, he took me and my brother down there and my brother would have sasparella from a stall, was always too hot for me!

If you shop wisely in Borough mkt it doesn't have to cost a fortune, chicken and eggs from sillfield farm - cheaper than tesco's and far better, or good meat for a special occasion.

The magazine stall on Sundays in East lane is great as is the bargain of buying herbs from various shops along there and the fresh tomatoes. The Flower market bit is also good too on a a Sunday. Do wish I could still get a Fila BJ or Sergio Tacchini tracksuit top though, as you could in '84'!
Monday 2 November 2009 10.55pm
In my opinion, East Street could benefit by borrowing ideas from Borough like having more "prepared foods", especially ethnic food stalls selling freshly made foods using quality ingredients. Likewise, it'd be great to see additional pound a bowl stalls at Borough.

Looking forward to going to the Bermondsey farmer's market this weekend!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions