London SE1 community website

How many on here shop down East Street Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Wednesday 11 November 2009 10.58am
I went to Tesco's for my weekly shop on Saturday and bought peppers at 72p each. Not having bought enough vegs and fruits, I later went to East Street market and got 12 peppers for a 1.00! They were so big and fresh, I could not believe it. Now my fridge is full of peppers!
Wednesday 11 November 2009 11.03am
now that makes me want to go. I've not done it yet but apparently you can roast them and stick them in the freezer.
Wednesday 11 November 2009 12.13pm
connie wrote:
I went to Tesco's for my weekly shop on Saturday and bought peppers at 72p each. Not having bought enough vegs and fruits, I later went to East Street market and got 12 peppers for a 1.00! They were so big and fresh, I could not believe it. Now my fridge is full of peppers!

Another thing to do is make my roast red pepper pate:
Roast a couple of them until they are soft, wait for them to cool and then de-seed and peel off the skins and then blend them with a tub of cream cheese (you can use the lightest one without tasting the difference!), a splash of balsamic vinegar and sploosh of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste!

When it's just been blended it will be runny but if you pop it in the fridge and it will reset.

Very yummy on toast! I haven't frozen it before (it gets eaten far too quickly in my house) but I'm pretty sure that you could.

I'm just starting a small business making pates, preserves and pestos to sell at farmers markets/ to order and will be up at Bermondsey St Market one of these Saturdays to do some free tasting/ market research, so if you see me come and say hi! ;o)
Wednesday 11 November 2009 12.15pm
My dad has a very nice recipe. Roast the peppers in the oven, remove the skin, cut them into strips, cover with olive oil, loads of garlic and cumin. Very nice on bread or with salads. It keeps in the fridge for quite a long while, as long as they are covered with oil.
Wednesday 11 November 2009 1.49pm
My Aunt used to pot beef Gwynaethva, I have her old cookery book at home falling to bits as big as a family Bible, I'll have a look in there to see if there is any unusual pates,pickles if you want?
Wednesday 11 November 2009 2.57pm
Jan the old one wrote:
My Aunt used to pot beef Gwynaethva, I have her old cookery book at home falling to bits as big as a family Bible, I'll have a look in there to see if there is any unusual pates,pickles if you want?

Yes, please! That would be lovely. x
Wednesday 11 November 2009 4.02pm
Red peppers! My daughter eats them like apples...Literally. She will help herself to one out of the fridge and then sit on the settee and chomp away at it. So I wish I lived a lot closer to East Street Market, at twelve for a quid!
Pricewise they are the conundrum of the veg market. (Altghough, stricktly speaking, as they have seeds I guess they must be a fruit, but let's not be pedantic.) I can go to my local Sainsbury's one week and they are 72p each and the size of plums. The following week they're 60p each and the size of grapefruits! Any clues?
Wednesday 11 November 2009 4.32pm
I shop there pretty regularly, particularly for fruit and veg, it's usually extremely good value often half the price of the supermarkets and peppers seem to be especially cheap usually 8 for a pound. I do live just round the corner though so it's very easy for me to pop there during the day as I am there in less than 1 minute :)

Need to figure out some recipes for aubergines as they are 5 for 1 at the moment.
Wednesday 11 November 2009 6.49pm
Lyonsdown,
I'll get my wife to give me the recipe for 'Aubergine parmesan' and I'll post it here. It's excellent! (Especially washed down with a good glass of red!)
Wednesday 11 November 2009 7.53pm
peppers - you can stuff them!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions