London SE1 community website

Blocked Pavements Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 29 October 2009 10.06am
you couldnt rent a property around here 20 years ago let alone sell one for the prices they go for now...borough market has ben the catalyst for significant improvement in a part of london that was run down and deprived. as for people outside pubs i agree totally with howthedevil...its waht makes a warm summers friday night such a joy in this city. anyway why stoney st isnt pedestriansed is beyond me. cars driving through on market days are a nuisance
Zoe
Thursday 29 October 2009 7.51pm
I agree, the whole area should be pedestrianised (not sure of the spelling there!), we need more car free areas in London, it's so common in towns elsewhere.
Thursday 29 October 2009 9.47pm
I've always thought it should be pedestrianised. It might mean making the north section of Redcross Way two-way (I think it's not at present?).
Thursday 29 October 2009 10.30pm
Borough Paul Your answer is to walk through the crowd because your a big fella? Well I dont think that works all the time. Try doing that where I drink and you would end up looking like a rugby player (even if you dont at the moment)
If that is your answer then the crowds blocking the pavement at the Dungeons wont be a problem! They will part like Moses walking through the sea!!
Remember everyone dont say nothing howid about Buwwa Market it offends the new people who spend all the money in the area.
Thursday 29 October 2009 10.34pm
Sorry Borough Paul That was obviously to Big Phil but you get my drift
Friday 30 October 2009 12.37am
"real" SE1 - just what is it that upsets you so much about the "new" people? their money? their accents? different social class?

London is a city with a population that is constantly shifting; some areas become fashionable after a period of being run down, and some get run down after enjoying a period of being fashionable. that's the way it is.

My family links with the area go back to the 1840s - well before postcodes were invented, but I can't see that how long you've lived here has any relevance.

This forum is a place where new and old Se1-ers get along fine and I hope it stays that way.
Friday 30 October 2009 4.26pm
I agree with howthedevil - standing outside of a pub enjoying an ale and watching the crowds go by is one of my favourite things to do in our great city.

Ok, it can get busy outside the Market Porter, but I for one enjoy the buzz it creates. I often walk past on the way home and have to take a 10 second detour around the crowd, but that is a small price to pay for the vibrancy it adds to the area.

That said, I do prefer the Rake as a drinking spot in the market...
Friday 30 October 2009 5.31pm
Real SE1 , please take my comments with a grain of salt, you would see that my 2nd paragraph starts with seriously.

I enjoy living in this area and get about quite easily in most areas. i drink in quite a few different establishments and am comfortable in pretty much any pub.( i do prefer pubs with sports and real ale)

i also love walking along the river on busy sunny days and meeting and seeing all walks of life which make up our diverse neighbourhood. i am not "old school" but am also not "fresh off the boat".

as for crowds on pavements, I sometimes would be part of that crowd, but do think that "manners maketh the man" and would like to think that i would stand aside if anyone is trying to make their way along a footpath.

cheers
phil
Zoe
Friday 30 October 2009 7.07pm
Living next to a loud pub is very different to drinking in it, and to be fair, I'm not really sure that those who drink in loud pubs can comment on the experiance of living next to it, as the two things are just not the same!
Monday 2 November 2009 8.16am
Gorse What is the difference of you standing outside a pub with a pint and (dont know if you smoke) a fag blocking the road and pavement and the queue at LD blocking the pavement?
This is the point I am trying to make.
Totally acceptable if you like it and you feel it makes the area trendy. Close it down if you dont like it.
You cant have it both ways.
Auntie Pat It is my opinion and I am as entitled to it as everyone else. My family probably knew your family in the 1840s.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions