London SE1 community website

Loud noise

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 3 November 2009 11.03am
Helen - BSO moved their treatment centre to Southwark Bridge Road, but the teaching side of things remains on Borough High Street.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 4.47pm
Hi there. I am a Student the British School of Osteopathy (BSO) and the President of the BSO Student Union (SU).

Firstly I would like to apologise about the noise on Friday the 30th Oct 09, as this was our Halloween party at the school. I am now aware that the volume may have been too loud, as the back door to the Student Union (SU) area was open to allow the smokers to enjoy themselves while at the party.

During the school week we generally have a quiet SU. It is only on Friday nights that we hold events in the SU area, these being around once a month. Regarding your complaint of a band practicing on Saturday mornings I would like to point out that this took place for around 6 weeks only, prior to a school event which was held on the 20th June 09. Considering that we are students I am positive that the band was not practicing at an unreasonable time of the morning and would not have arrived here until after 10am, if not later. However I am sorry that you felt this was unacceptable.

We are a licensed venue and have been since moving to these premises in 1997.

Since discussing this problem with the school, the SU and bar staff have agreed to close the back door at 9:30pm on party nights which will reduce the noise for our neighbours. Smokers will still go outside but through another exit at the other/end side of the building.

The next major event is our Christmas party on the 4th December 09 and following that is the start of term party on 8th Jan 2010. I am quite happy to create a forum or contact fellow neighbours as to notify when there will be parties in the future. Please feel free to forward me your contact details if you wish to be informed

I am sorry that we have caused you a problem and I hope the closing of the back door will improve things for you. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you might have.

Thanks
Michael Cox
BSO SU President

[email protected]
CGB
Wednesday 4 November 2009 6.57pm
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. It is great to hear that the school is taking on board the complaints of residents in the area.
Just a couple of further suggestions: whilst keeping the back door closed will certainly help to reduce noise, said noise (depending on volume) can still be clearly heard even whent the door is shut. I suspect it's a case of the venue not being sound-proofed? If this is the case, could the school take steps to rectify this? I understand all licensed premises where music is being played need to have measures in place, is that correct?
Secondly, it would be no good if the smokers simply move the problem to a different door of the building; perhaps a simple door closer would help you with this problem?
With regards to the live music practice, it was definitely taking place on Saturday 31st morning, as I thought it was a bit much, a loud party the night before and THEN live music the following morning!

Personally, I have nothing against people having a bit of fun, as long as they realise they are in a residential area and steps are taken to minimise disruption to the neighbours.
I'm sure the rest of residents in the college zone will tend to agree!
Thanks again for the reply.
CGB
Thursday 2 September 2010 5.51pm
Dear fellow Residents of Berwick Court,

The British School of Osteopathy (275 Borough High Street) has applied for an extension of the terms of their current club license. Their proposal includes:
• Films - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 ad hoc films for occasional viewing on Fridays during university term times
• Live music - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 occasional bands on Fridays (max. 2x per 12 wk term) for university term time only
• Recorded music - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 music will be on an occasional basis only once a month Friday only
• Anything similar (karaoke, bingo, quiz) - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 occasional events only during university term

As many of you know, we the residents of Berwick Court have long been plagued by the noise arising from past events at the BSO. Numerous talks and attempts at involving the Student Union in finding a sensible solution have resulted only in empty promises and utter disregard for the well-being of fellow residents and their right to peace in their own homes.

If you object to these events taking place PLEASE ACT NOW!
Here is what to do:

Send your objections/comments to:

licensing@southwark.gov.uk

Please also copy Kristie.Ashenden@southwark.gov.uk

Please quote license number 832706

Please note comments/objections to licensing applications have to address at least 1 of 4 licensing objectives:
• The prevention of crime and disorder (we've had disorder aplenty already)
• Ensuring public safety (fire door being obstructed during their events)
• The prevention of nuisance (yes please)
• The protection of children from harm (if you are the parent of small children who are kept awake by the noise on a regular basis, please act now)

Comments need to be sent by Monday 6th September 2010 latest. Please don't delay!

N.B.There is another petition going on separately to complain against the breach of terms of their current license, details of which will be posted in Berwick Court Google Groups
Friday 3 September 2010 10.15am
This is very serious. I think there should be more threads about the BSO. Why hasn't someone done this?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions