London SE1 community website

HISTORY - Redcross Buildings, Redcross Street / Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Monday 23 June 2014 2.24pm
My family was one of the first families to move into Pattison House Redcross Way ( 8 ) it would have been in the early 1950's my mother who has now passed away lived there till 1986 , the big events for kids in this community was Saturday morning picture club and a game of football on a Sunday afternoon at the wreck which was a piece of spare ground at the back of the old buildings on the corner of Redcross Way and Union Street.
I went to school at Charles Dickens Primary School in Lant Street then went to West Square Secondary Modern, I have nothing but fond memories of living and working in this community I now live in Perth Western Australia but still have a bit of the Borough boy in me.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who lived in this area during the 1960 & 1970.
I have returned on holiday and had a pint in The Lord Clyde with Michael Fitzpatrick the publican who I grew up with I then visited the Borough Markets and Bankside ( forget South Bank that's for the yuppies ) I still keep in touch with my neighbour from Pattison House after all these years which says something for the people that lived in that community
Tuesday 24 June 2014 9.48am
Duncan we used the recc. as well..and used to creep into the John Gerrard catholic club..the first time I ever had a pepsi cola..you paid for it then put it into a large contrapation which then dispensed a cold one..think it was a tanner..the sweet factory...mence smiths all memories..
Wednesday 25 June 2014 12.03am
Jan, which corner or building was the wreck near? I'm really interested in the history of anywhere within spitting distance (or a bit further!) of Cross Bones Graveyard on Redcross Way. Thanks
Wednesday 25 June 2014 5.18am
The "wreck" is still there. it's now called the Marlborough I believe, we always called it the wreck but I think Jan's right, it was probably the Rec(reation), the former would have fit in with the amount of bomb sites there were around, well that's my theory.
Duncan, did you not go to Mint St adventure playground? What a place and conveniently next door to the Evelina hospital!
Wednesday 25 June 2014 6.00am
I should add that our sunday afternoon games were at the Grotto, about 30 a side!
Wednesday 25 June 2014 9.29pm
I remember the Redcross buildings getting knocked down, we used to watch from St Joseph's school as the big ball and chain bashed into the walls, it was quite close lol, not much elf 'n' safety then.
It was strange walking through the rubble to get to school especially as there were still people there, one Asian family and "Scatty Annie" who used to petrify us all, not least when she would walk about in her old blue mac' open at the front and nowt else on!
Poor soul, I wonder where she wound up, she was Maltese I think.
Saturday 28 June 2014 1.13pm
When I was very young there used to be illegal book makers operating in Redcross Way they had a runner at each end of the street and took bets in the middle near the park when a policeman appeared a whistle went out and the illegal bookmaker crossed the road and went into one of the flats and had a cup of tea till the policeman had passed then it was business as usual, the owner of the flat was paid so everybody was happy.
Saturday 28 June 2014 4.24pm
I loved the old Evelina hospital, demolished in the early 70's. I found 2 photos one of the wards and one external. Nice old building too, As we were up the casualty fairly frequently we got to know all the staff, there was a lovely Sister in Charge of the casualty who when it closed moved to Guys casualty and we both bemoaned of the fact that the Evelina was demolished. I think there were no lifts in the old building for people to use, only rickety old lifts for porters...bit like st.thomas's!
Saturday 28 June 2014 5.49pm
You reminded me to go look for an image as I've always been curious as to what it looked like and here we are:

http://www.hharp.org/static/images/evelina_facade.jpg

http://www.hharp.org/static/images/evelina_ward.jpg
Saturday 28 June 2014 7.26pm
Any idea what the tall building down the road is on the first photograph, Jan? Past what appears to have been a pub even then!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions