London SE1 community website

HISTORY - Redcross Buildings, Redcross Street / Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Saturday 28 June 2014 7.47pm
Blimey that brings back memories, that pub is the Goldsmiths (same name then), then along from that, the other side of Sawyer st, was a Texaco garage, the tall building was an office block, can't remember who was in it, I think it might of been some kind of telecommunications company, the only thing I remember with certainty is that it had a car park on the ground floor.
Sunday 29 June 2014 2.44am
There was a very special sister in charge who took with our parents permission me and two girls to her apartment West London made lunch for us and then took us to the London Zoo she was a wonderful lady who I have never forgotten.
I still have stitches received from the Evalina Hospital I don't think there was a child in Pattison House who had not spent time in that hospital.
There was also a small sweet shop by the hospital we called the owner Taffy Tom funny how everyone had a nickname in those days
Sunday 29 June 2014 2.46am
Is there anyone out there that went to Charles Dickens Primary School
Sunday 29 June 2014 5.46am
Funny, we also called that sweet shop next to the hospital Tom's but by our time it was Glynn his son.
Remember the rocking horse in the Evelina. I was often sent around there with my old toys and annuals to give to them.
I seemed to be up there an awful lot, looking back, it feels like every week, hated the place. We had a lot of crepe bandages indoors accumulated over time, i'm sure I remember eventually having to return any bandages after use.
Talking of nicknames Duncan, how about Cheesey?
Sunday 29 June 2014 10.19am
Duncan that Sister was a lovely kind lady who was truly devoted to 'her' children, if my memory serves me right she had slightly olive skin and black hair tinged with silver, at first it was pulled back in a bun, then she had it cut shorter into a mid length style...she looked professional and her uniform was immaculate in her dark blue uniform and white cap.After dressing a painful cut, very kindly would give you a smartie from a large glass jar! if you whimpered a bit more she would give you 3!

Boroughonian, that Rocking Horse had magic powers, you would take your child there, carrying them in your arms looking like they needed an undertaker rather than medical care, and when they saw the flipping horse they were off...riding on it as if they were trying to win the Derby!

Mum said that when you had a child in hospital you took an egg up there with they childs name on to help them recover!

I remember my son had a fall at school ( charles dickens) the idiot teacher carried him on his shoulder with his broken arm dangling..when I got to Evelina I had to carry him from one floor to another..he was 9 at the time..as I said whether it was panic on my side or there really was only one lift for porters..
Sunday 28 December 2014 10.32pm
Hi all.

I used to live in 185 Stanhope Buildings which was ground floor two room. I remember what appeared to be a sweet factory next to us and a back yard where we used to share the clothe lines and pull hem across from one side to he other. Does anyone else remember living there. It was probably between 1965 - 1970 ish. I remember an old boy who lived in another building called Jimmy Gorman.... Gladys Henderson was my mums name....
Sunday 25 January 2015 6.31am
Hi everybody,
This thread is fascinating to me, it's the only information on the Stanhope buildings I can find on the internet, apart from some photos of the Mowbray buildings there doesn't seem to be anything else!
My grandparents Frank and Nora Berry lived in Stanhope from the mid 50s to whenever the area got demolished (1970s?), my dad Chris and his brothers Michael and John were born in Guy's and grew up there. I'm not sure what their flat number was. If anybody remembers anything about them or anything else about Stanhope I would love to hear it.

Thank you all for sharing what you have.

Craig.
Sunday 8 March 2015 12.48pm
The tall building to the right of the Evelina was called Dispatch Motors and it had something to with Fords
Friday 8 May 2015 6.56pm
I worked at Nettlefords before I married. Met hubby and lived in St George's buildings 1961 on first floor flat over looking school playground. My flat had no water inside and I had to share outside toilet with others on the landing. It was a constant battle to try and keep our two rooms bug free lol! After we moved to Goodwin buildings in Marshallsea road where I had three babies in the top floor flat. My window overlooked the Lord Clyde and it was not unusual to watch a punch up outside on a Friday night! My husbands name was David Crawford he was a roofer and he has a brother James. My mother -in-law was cook at the John Gerrard club and we had many a good night there
Friday 8 May 2015 6.58pm
I worked at Nettlefords before I married. Met hubby and lived in St George's buildings 1961 on first floor flat over looking school playground. My flat had no water inside and I had to share outside toilet with others on the landing. It was a constant battle to try and keep our two rooms bug free lol! After we moved to Goodwin buildings in Marshallsea road where I had three babies in the top floor flat. My window overlooked the Lord Clyde and it was not unusual to watch a punch up outside on a Friday night! My husbands name was David Crawford he was a roofer and he has a brother James. My mother -in-law was cook at the John Gerrard club and we had many a good night there
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions