London SE1 community website

HISTORY - Redcross Buildings, Redcross Street / Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 8 May 2015 6.38pm
Dora I was astonished yesterday when going to the station at London Bridge was staggered to see the corner of marshal sea road empty. I always remembered nettle fords and mosers because unusually they had a beautiful display like a sun consisting of screws! My sister in law worked there in early sixties, think she was a telephonist. Very petite looked like Mia farrow!
Wednesday 16 December 2015 1.13pm
I lived in Patterson House from age 12 about 1966 or 67. Number 29 top floor. I had 2 sisters Pat and Lilian and 3 brothers Brian, Joe (Patrick) and Paul. I went to Laxon School I was only there a year but had 2 close friends there Jackie and Pauline.

As there were 6 of us, we knew a lot of family's between us. The Browns, Walsh's, Butcher's, Keegan's,Gormans, Tearney's, Donaruma's. Mum worked at the Evelina Hospital until it closed. We played in the REC. Because there were 6 of us and a year between us all, we were spead over most of the local schools. I remember tom's the sweet shop, the Clyde with Michael and his Dad before him. Was a great place to live and I remember it with fondness.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 9.00am
Hi Duncan47.

I didn't live in Pattison House (although a friend of mine, Freddie Reading did. I lived in Lant Street which wasn't very far away, and Mickey Fitzpatrick was one of my best friends. I used to visit the Lord Clyde many times to stay over. His parents were Irish (as you may recall) and Denis (his father) had a severe back problem which meant he walked with an awkward gait. Mickey has now retired from the pub and his son has taken over the business.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 9.02am
If I'm correct, that building belonged to Despatch Motors where my brother was apprenticed as a motor mechanic.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 9.44am
If I'm correct, that building belonged to Despatch Motors where my brother was apprenticed as a motor mechanic in the early 60s. Just beyond it - at the traffic lights - was A.Smith Funeral Undertakers. The pub mentioned in an early post - near the Evelina - was The Goldsmith's Arms and it's still there.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 9.48am
I well remember the bookmaker in Redcross Way. I was walking along the road with our local priest one day, when he spotted him. An argument ensued between them both - which, of course, I didn't understand - and ended when the priest removed his collar and squared up to the guy! Nothing happened as other people intervened but I can recall that incident as if it happened yesterday.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 9.50am
I'm not sure about Duncan, but I went to the it. The playground was the brainchild of a local woman called Tilly Jackson who lived in Lant House, a stone's throw from the bomb side on which the playground was built and which was situated in front of the Evelina. Wonderful memories.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 9.54am
Tom, a Welshman, owned that shop for donkeys years. His son took over the business when he passed away and ran it for about 20 years until it was compulsorily purchased to make way for improvements. It's still there although closed.
Thursday 15 June 2017 3.26pm
Hi Alan,

Anne Brimmel worked in the pub where I lived called The Windmill in Park Street.
Thursday 15 June 2017 3.37pm
The hyperlink above to The Windmill pub (auto-inserted by some thread algorithm, and not by me) is not the correct image of the pub where I lived. The Windmill in Park Street is now demolished and the Financial Times building now sits where the pub (a Courage house) and a lane way called Horseshoe Alley once were.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions