London SE1 community website

HISTORY - Redcross Buildings, Redcross Street / Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Saturday 24 February 2018 12.32pm
Hopefully I'm not too late to join this string but you mention the Toomeys and my greatgrandparents and grandparents lived in Red Cross Street as it then was in the 1890s and beyond. The children were Anne, Ellen (Nellie) and John . Their father was John and their mother was Ellen (nee Donovan). They lived in Stanhope Buildings and the mother lived in New Buildings. Anne later married (to Mr Rutt?) and I think John married to have children names Nellie, Julie and John. Anyone else with information?
Monday 4 February 2019 9.25pm
Hi Duncan I lived in Southwark Fire Station till 1966. Did you know Geoffrey Cresswell he went to West Square around 1959. I have been trying to find out his whereabouts. His friends were Malcolm Duggan, James Day who came from the Borough.
Monday 4 February 2019 10.22pm
[quote Finny]Hi Alan,

Anne Brimmel worked in the pub where I lived called The Windmill in Park Street.

Yes, Aunt Anne lived in Sumner Buildings, my Nan and Grandad (Henry Meredith) lived in 77 Stanhope Bldgs and we were in 156 I think.
Monday 11 February 2019 11.24pm
Yes I remember Anne Brimmel- she worked in our pub, The Windmill on Park Street /Horseshoe Alley. The Financial Times built its new premises on the site of the pub AND on the site of Horseshoe Alley. There was an old leadmill and a printers works in our cobbled alley but there is no mention of Horseshoe Alley anywhere. Also Rose Alley has lost its access to the Bankside.
Just back home after a week in London and SE1 is almost unrecognisable!
My uncle lived in Stanhope Buildings and we all played on the wreck/rec., we went to primary school at La Salette and my best friend lived in Snowsfields- all these places now completely forgotten!
Saturday 6 April 2019 12.32pm
[quote Alan in Exile][quote Finny]Hi Alan,

Anne Brimmel worked in the pub where I lived called The Windmill in Park Street.

Yes, Aunt Anne lived in Sumner Buildings, my Nan and Grandad (Henry Meredith) lived in 77 Stanhope Bldgs and we were in 156 I think.[/quote]

Hiya Alan in Exile...

Just joined. Talking to dad and Den about this
Wednesday 30 September 2020 11.04pm
I was born at 29 Patterson house in 1955
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions