London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 26
Wednesday 27 January 2010 12.07pm
I think it would be helpful if Southwark Life included some coverage of the market in an upcoming issue - it fits in with eating healthy and shopping locally.

I emailed the magazine today so hopefully we'll get a positive response.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/MediaCentre/SouthwarkLifeSection/
Wednesday 27 January 2010 12.07pm
You volunteering Jan? ;)
Wednesday 27 January 2010 2.27pm
You find me a board that'll fit Beetroot and a sarnie.....:-) or perhaps an oyster or two perhaps!
Wednesday 27 January 2010 4.36pm
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Who'd have thought that one statement would spark so much debate. Thank you so much if you've contacted Southwark News or Southwark Life or your local Councillor. Southwark News are doing a piece this week. Southwark Life are covering the market for their February Issue. I do find it ironic that when we approached Southwark before the market started, they wouldn't promote it because it's not being run by the council!
I have a meeting next week with Southwark about signage. I hope that this dialogue will help the antiques market too.

To answer some of the questions that have been raised;

It's always a chance when we open a new market. Getting the day and time right, in addition to the location can be a gamble. We opened in November because we didn't have any other time left in the year to do it. If we hadn't opened then, it would have meant waiting until May or June this year.

Market hours. All our weekend markets are held for 4 hours. This is so farmers have time to get back to their farms, feed their animals etc and get some sleep! We'll occasionally hold longer markets, during the week or for events. In the US many markets start at 8am.

Producer lists. At the market there should be a large blackboard that lists who comes when. You can also check with the market manager. Yes, some stall holders have dropped out or cut back and we're working on replacing them.

Our website is being updated right now. All producers will have a page with info about themselves, their website, contact info etc. Every market will have a page with more accurate producer info too.
It's difficult for us to continually update who attends as some producers do change seasonally but if you want to email me/join the email list for the market I can send you a list of producers and you'll get a message once a month on average, letting you know what's going on at the market, any special offers, new products etc. The fisherman at the moment is attending on the 4th Saturday of the month, so next time will be the 27th Feb.

Any other questions or comments, please do call or email us, we're always happy to hear from you and we're glad that the market has made such a difference to the local community. We really want it to succeed. As some of you have said, once we get through the winter and hold out till Spring we'll be ok.

best wishes,

Cheryl
London Farmers Markets
[email protected]
www.lfm.org.uk
Wednesday 27 January 2010 4.47pm
Perhaps one more suggestion to publicise the market - if some quality posters and/or leaflets were produced I am sure many local businesses would be happy to advertise the market, although perhaps not M&S!

I have a bar on Tooley Street and would happily promote it within my place.

Like other posters I do use the market and have even tried to buy some fresh fish for the bar menu but have been stymied by a lack of stalls/produce on occasion.

Would some of the stallholders consider trying to attract some of the smaller local businesses to shop there for produce - not quite sure how??
Thursday 28 January 2010 12.16pm
If I saw a "sourced from the local farmers' market" sign on a bar/restaurant menu it'd certainly be a factor in tempting me in.

Good to see Tim McN's posting re. signs - hope the tfl lobbying has effect.

Looking forward to finding out more about the stallholders and their products on the website.
Thursday 28 January 2010 1.55pm
Hi Nigel, and anyone else who would like to source produce for your bar/ restaurant -

Before we opened we walked around the area with posters/ leaflets and I gave out cards to restaurant owners and chefs with regard to sourcing/having farmers' market menus. I've not heard anything back yet but we'd love to work with you. I can put you in direct contact with the farmers if you don't see them at market. If you'd like a poster or some leaflets we'd be happy to drop some in.

Les the fisherman has his own excellent website -
http://www.christchurchfish.co.uk/

bw
Cheryl
Thursday 28 January 2010 5.00pm
Cheryl

I own The Bridge Lounge @ 186 Tooley Street so if you want to give me a call and pop in with leaflets etc I will be happy to help.

Will also try and get to the market this Saturday and see what's on offer so I can do my bit to help, hopefully.

Nigel
Thursday 28 January 2010 5.13pm
will do - thanks Nigel
If you want to email us - [email protected]
we can send you a list of current stall holders

bw
Cheryl
Saturday 30 January 2010 2.33pm
OK, so I went to the market today & made purchases from 4 stalls. Please stay & give us folk in Bermonsdey an alternative to Borough Market!!
Current: 10 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions