London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 23 of 26
Friday 17 December 2010 5.26pm
Last market day of 2010 in Bermondsey Square is tomorrow. They will return in the new year on 8 January
Wednesday 22 December 2010 3.26pm
NEWS

A mini farmers market will be held with meat, veg and bread/cakes available on Thursday from 4 to 7pm.

Please come and support if you can and spread the word.

See you then.
Fabienne
Friday 4 February 2011 1.45pm
Hi there,

I know there are many people on here who have been commenting on the lack of fresh fish available in the Bermondsey area, so I hope you won't mind me mentioning the fact that we have a Lowestoft fisherman (Chris Wightman aka Maximus Sustainable Fishing) coming back to the Bermondsey Farmers' Market (www.lfm.org.uk/markets/bermondsey) this Saturday. He's got a remarkably fresh haul, which he can always provide as he catches it all himself!

Some of you will remember Sam White, the fisherman who used to come up from Lowestoft last year. Sam's unable to come up now, but he has put the word out amongst the fisherman he fishes alongside in the Lowestoft port that the people of SE1 were on the lookout for fresh fish. Chris has answered this call! Chris takes orders on Twitter: twitter.com/Maximusfishing

Hope you enjoy the fish!
Sunday 6 February 2011 1.07pm
Excellent selection of fish yesterday. Really good to have a fishmonger back on Saturday morning.

Pan-fried sustainable cod, with parsley straight off the balcony and samphire from the Maltby Street Market.

Nyum.
Monday 7 February 2011 2.07pm
Glad you enjoyed Chris' fish. Let's hope he can build up a dedicated following like Sam did.
Wednesday 2 March 2011 8.01pm
With the improving weather, let's hope for many more locals at the Farmers' Market this weekend !

There will also be a BSAP stall this weekend - the guys who bring the Bermondsey Street Festival to our doorstep every September (diary note: it's on the 24th September this year !).

We will be offering 2-for-1 Residents' membership deal for 2011 and talking to interested shopers and passers-by about the Festival, the Exhibition previews, the Planning alerts and the neighbourhood Christmas Party -all of which can be had for 15 quid for the whole of 2011.

Weather forecast looking pretty good - so keep your eyes peeled for the BSAP (Bermondsey Street Area Partnership) stall close to the Shortwave Cinema this Saturday, 5th March as you shop the Farmers' market !

In case you haven't guessed - I'm the BSAP membership secretary. Hope to see you there.
Saturday 12 March 2011 11.04pm
I am trying to organise an event at Bermondsey Square to support the farmers market and gain some additional local support.
What would people want to see in the square? Some ideas I have come up with are live animals from the farm - geese, sheep and pigs? Or would you prefer to see some farm machinery - tractors and implements that work along side the tractor.
Please let me know as all support would be welcomed.
Thanks
Fabienne
Sunday 13 March 2011 8.59am
Lovely idea Fabienne, animals for the children to see close up, and toys for the grown ups! i.e. me! I do love looking at the tools of the trade, especially such a worthy one as farming, after all no farms...no food, what ever part of the world you get your food from, it's flipping hard work.
Sunday 13 March 2011 12.11pm
Like the idea of tools and machinery. Less certain about the farm animals - I always think they get enough driving about and standing about in crowded market squares in their comparatively short lives. If it was down to me I'd leave them in the countryside. But I do recognise the importance of city kids understanding where their food comes from....
Saturday 19 November 2011 5.08pm
According to the news section, it's all over.

Read all about it here

Which is a shame.

In case anyone from the Farmer's Market is reading this, do consider Lower Marsh. Lots of good transport links and plenty of space.
Current: 23 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions