London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 26 of 26
Wednesday 23 November 2011 8.37pm
I imagine that the individual traders pay London Farmers' Markets for their pitches. LFM then manages and promotes the market.

It sounds like at present LFM doesn't pay anything to Igloo for the market as a whole.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 November 2011 10.13pm
Ah. I hadn't realised that LFM stood between the traders and the landlord. Thanks, James

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 24 November 2011 9.19am
Ivanhoe,

Think you've probably got it spot on with "I can see the sense in giving an initial rent-free period, to establish a customer base, but surely the traders must have expected to pay some sort of rent after that, however low that might be."

I just don't think that customer base ever materialised, not in enough numbers to make paying rent a possibility. Looking rather than buying, as Bel says.

Anyway, I'm getting into speculation now, and seem to have posted way too much on this topic. Just disappointed, I used to really look forward to that market, and thought it was a really nice thing to have in the square. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, James.
Thursday 24 November 2011 9.51am
The traders on the Friday morning market only pay 15 for a stand. That does not seems such an extreme expense. What cost them more is the fuel to get there and a person to attend the stand.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 11.12pm
The producers are taking over of the market starting this Saturday 7th. London Farmers Market are no longer continueing with it. A new email address of [email protected] has been set up as a gap stop.
Any questions then please let us know. You can continue to get your great fish, meat, vegtables, cakes, bread, pies, jams and cheese every Saturday between 10am and 2pm.
See you there.
Any body able to help out with Facebook and Twitter.
Best Wishes
Fabienne
Wednesday 4 January 2012 3.23am
Good news! Bring back the cow :p
Sunday 8 January 2012 7.53pm
The first market run solely by the farmers has been a success. Next week cheese, cakes and bread back. We hope to replace Ted's Veg with an organic vegtable stall. Will keep you posted.
Monday 9 January 2012 9.47am
Good to hear! I'll make sure I get down this weekend and spend some dosh
Friday 13 January 2012 11.11pm
Second market tomorrow with Plumbun and Le Moulin back from Christmas holidays. Hope to see you all. We are there until 2pm come along and have a look at all the tasty fish, meat, veg, cakes and bread.
Saturday 21 January 2012 6.18pm
I'm a regular (most weeks) shopper at the food market and went today having missed last week. Although some of the familiar stalls are there and there is a new organic vegetable stall, some of them don't appear to have returned after the New Year which is a pity. There seemed to be less people shopping than normal. Talking to one stallholder they seemed a little uncertain about the future of the market unless trade picked up. They agreed that it also needed for the market to look appealing to attract foot-fall.

So those of us who value the food market need to support it on a regular basis to ensure its future and spread the word, but perhaps the stallholders could also promote it themselves and get some more stalls on board to increase its appeal too.

I certainly hope it has a future so let's support it!
Current: 26 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions