London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 26
Tuesday 26 January 2010 12.31pm
I love the market and try and go most Saturdays but would find it really useful (and this may already exist) if there was a timetable of which stallholders would be there on different Saturdays and what they sell.

There have been occasions I've gone down with a fish based idea or a recipe for a venison dish and found that the specific stall-holders aren't there on that particular Saturday, which was a bit disappointing and probably meant I bought less because I hadn't planned out what I was going to make.

I'd also love more information on the stall-holders themselves and their enterprises. I think it might make the community connect with them a bit more.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 1.13pm
emzie wrote:
I'd also love more information on the stall-holders themselves and their enterprises. I think it might make the community connect with them a bit more.

I agree - perhaps the LondonFarmersMarket website could add in a page for the market that shows the traders for each week?

Perhaps also include something like a small blurb about each of the stallholders and a link to their own websites or some contact details for them?
Tuesday 26 January 2010 2.28pm
I'm not able to get to the market each week but try to go as often as possible as I think it's a great asset to the area and worth supporting. I recently went on 16th Jan when it was cold, wet & windy and didn't get there until about 1.15pm. It was bleak. I was shocked to find so few stalls and a couple of the stallholders were moaning about the lack of support which made the experience even more depressing.

A lot of very interesting and very valid points have been made in the previous posts which I think London Farmers Market could take on board - starting the market in November was poor timing; extending the hours (I often find it difficult to get there early as Saturdays are my lie-in days after a long week at work); access to a list of which stalls are attending each week. It may not have the variety of Borough Market but it is easier to walk around and is a local market which we, the locals, need to support. It would be a pity to lose it after a few short months when I do think it will pick up when the weather improves.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 5.26pm
I've had a reply from Southwark Council.

I wrote
Quote:
I've heard that the Council has restricted/removed signs to Bermondsey Square Farmers Market. This market is a great addition to the area and stalls are already disappearing. It's so important people see signs to this sort of market, especially those travelling down busy Tower Bridge Rd. Is there something the Council could do to help?

They responded

Quote:
Unfortunately, i am unable to help you with this enquiry as Tower Bridge Road is maintained by Transport for London, therefore, all enquiries need to be directed to them.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 5.28pm
Useless! I see that a sign for the closure of Bermondsey Street on the 19th September 2009 (for the annual fair) is still up on Abbey Street near the corner of Tower Bridge Road (East side). Perhaps worth sending the same email to TFL?
Tuesday 26 January 2010 5.39pm
Will do.
What is it about these sort of people? I don't believe anyone is so thick that they really could interpret my email to be only referring to Tower Bridge Road.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 8.01pm
Beetroot - if you're going at it it again you might try copying your communications to Tim McNally. He'sgone on the record (here and elsewhere) saying he's supporting the market and trying to get to the bottom of the signs problem. I heard there's some new guy at the council he's been in touch with who's reponsible for market matters. Maybe he could get copied in too so they'd all do something about joining the dots?
Tuesday 26 January 2010 10.09pm
Thanks for letting me know, as whilst Tower Bridge Road is a TfL road (which means they get to enforce parking and road and pavement items including sadly blocking our Christmas lights plans for the stores and trees on Tower Bridge Road) - there are surrounding roads where Southwark Council can directly intervene and assist and we can lobby TfL to provide support.

The Bermondsey Square farmers market is a valuable addition to our community. I spoke today to Kevin - the editor/owner of our local paper Southwark News - and he was very supportive of what we want, and I encouraged Southwark News to promote the market to their readers so we can acheive critical mass for this market. Kevin assured me he would visit and go to Alfies, Shortwave and Del Aziz and would give them his support.

Bermondsey Square has centuries of history as a market - it's a fantastic location at the heart of our local community and I hope we can all promote it and make it a success.

As ever if anyone would like to talk about this with me please call or email me, and my daytime and mobile numbers are below.

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Executive Member for Resources, Southwark Council
07903 967 809 - mobile
020 7525 7161 - office
Wednesday 27 January 2010 10.53am
I am afraid that I am another one guilty of not making it to the market because Sat am tends to be a bit of a lazy time, and when I do think about the market (which is a bus ride away for me) I always tell myself that there will nothing left!

1/10 for effort, can do better!
Wednesday 27 January 2010 11.00am
How about a sandwich board man to advertise? as he would be moving it can't count as an obstruction on pavement?
Current: 9 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions