London SE1 community website

Old photos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 12 November 2009 11.15am
That old buiding was a sad loss, but the flyover was very necessary. I spent most of my working life in the City and I can remember so many of those pre-flyover mornings when I would get on a number 21 bus at East Street and, after moving a hundred yards in twenty minute, I would get off and and walk to work. That would be the last I saw of the bus, it never overtook me.
Thursday 12 November 2009 11.42am
Do you remember the number 13 and the 182 buses Chalkey, both went to the borough along great dover street..with the 21...which was on par with myths and legends...it may or may not exist!
Thursday 12 November 2009 11.56am
The 182 certainly existed. In my ill-spent youth I had more jobs than you could shake a stick at, one of them was as a bus conductor at New Cross Garage. (Believe it or not....On the number 21's! January 1966-June 1967.)The 182 route was the cushiest in the depot and it was the perk of the longest serving members of staff. It was a nice, short little route and hardly picked up any passengers. It didn't start too early and didn't finish too late and the average working day was only about 6 hours. The waiting list to get to crew that route was a mile long. After about thirty years service you may have been lucky enough to end your working days on the 182's.
I don't remember the number 13 though. It definitely didn't run out of New Cross Garage.

Any more fares please?
Thursday 12 November 2009 12.47pm
I wonder where it went from? camberwell perhaps? it was in the fifties and poss.early sixties unless me one cell brain is like an egg..'addled!
Thursday 12 November 2009 12.56pm
until 1958..it ran down old kent road...just found a site Old kent road garage then 'P' was the reference..
Thursday 12 November 2009 3.38pm
Jan, if you mean the 'P' reference being the garage code, which was displayed on the side at the front of the bus, then it was probably out of Peckham garage. 'NX' was New Cross and 'RL' was Rye Lane, that much I remember for certain, and I think 'P' was peckham. (Would make sense.)
Friday 13 November 2009 8.05am
I found a site where if you put in 'old bus routes' all the bus numbers came up, the 13 went to Golders green as well, that would have been a long journey!
Friday 13 November 2009 9.09am
I think the two longest routes out of New Cross in my day were the 177, which ran between Embankment and Abbey Wood, (I worked on that route for a very short while and the fare from end to end was 4/6d (22 1/2p.) & the 141, which ran between Forest Hill and Wood Green. I don't know if either of those routes are still operating.
Friday 13 November 2009 11.45am
We'll have to take a busmans holiday...I used to use the 141 years ago ..
Friday 13 November 2009 12.13pm
the 177 is still in existence although it only runs from Thamesmead to Peckham now (still quite a long route).

the 141 only goes south as far as London Bridge although it still goes to Wood Green (although its final destination is Palmers Green). It still ran to Forest Hill and Grove Park up until about 1992 although not all

There is a fascinating website (http://www.busesatwork.co.uk/) which gives detailed info on London Bus route history and some info on garages.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions