London SE1 community website

The Britannia

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Jac
Thursday 12 November 2009 7.06pm
It's just occured to me that Only pub services were probably just lease holders rather than owner, and Punch Taverns the freeholder. so I guess closing date will depend on how long Only Pub Services have left on their lease. So we might have it for a while yet. I do hope so.
Thursday 12 November 2009 10.21pm
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Thursday 12 November 2009 10.46pm
... Recalls number of rare whiskies still unsampled at the Britannia

... Calculates number of drinking days till Christmas

... Thinks sickness absence rate of self and colleagues may increase dramatically
Friday 13 November 2009 12.06pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
... Recalls number of rare whiskies still unsampled at the Britannia
... Calculates number of drinking days till Christmas

... Thinks sickness absence rate of self and colleagues may increase dramatically

... Likes your thinking, may have to be unwell for a bit myself
Friday 13 November 2009 1.15pm
Sounds most sensible...feeling a bit unwell already.
Sunday 15 November 2009 11.10am
After causing panic, it seems all might be ok. I popped in to the Crown on Friday night and talked to the new owner (an affable Kiwi, Big Phil) and among other things asked about the Britannia. He seemed pretty certain that the note I quoted from a website at the beginning of this post had been put on the wrong Britannia's page. In other words, although the site I saw it on was definitely the Kipling St one, the note about it being sold should have gone on another Britannia site (somewhere in North London).

So, clear as mud? According to BigPhil, the Britannia Kipling St has NOT been sold.

Tattie, have you heard back from them, yet? And Jac, where did you find the info about the 400,000?

Although, I was left a little confused over why the Only Pub Co had sold the Crown...

This was where I first saw it http://london.randomness.org.uk/wiki.cgi?Britannia%2C_SE1_3RU
Jac
Sunday 15 November 2009 2.34pm
I googled it and came up with a page from the Morning Advertiser. I do hope it is a mistake.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/84371?N=598273&Ne=598327&PagingData=Po_0
Wednesday 18 November 2009 10.56am
Not a peep yet, but haven't followed up to be fair. We should probably be able to find out sooner rather than later....
Wednesday 18 November 2009 11.06am
Hmm, the Morning Advertiser is the pub trade's paper, so I imagine they are "unlikely" to have got it wrong.

Now I'm really confused!
Tuesday 15 December 2009 9.25am
On behalf of Tim who runs the Britannia (and as confirmed on the Bookclub thread):

The Britannia is NOT closing! Hurrah!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions