London SE1 community website

Building on corner of Bermondsey St/Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 17 November 2009 10.24pm
FYI It is several years since someone (the owners?) deliberately removed many of the roof slates leaving a large hole for the weather to get it. I guess the plan is that, if permission to demolish gets refused (which I think did when a 6 or 7 story building was applied for), they are "forced" to demolish due to it no longer being safe !

It would appear the building has been more resilient than their own patience.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 10.02am
these buildings were certainly built to last but I'm sure the council will rubberstamp any planning application - after all, think of all that extra council tax that can be spent on parties!

Seriously though, this part of SE1 is over-saturated with housing, as I have said elsewhere on this thread, it would be better restored to a use more sympathetic with its earlier industrial life.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 10.23am
Gavin Smith wrote:
these buildings were certainly built to last but I'm sure the council will rubberstamp any planning application - after all, think of all that extra council tax that can be spent on parties!

I've worked in local government for a while (but it might change soon!) and, believe me, there are NO free parties thrown by local councils using tax-payer's money - we all pay for our own Christmas parties and even have to buy our own tea and milk for the office etc...
Wednesday 18 November 2009 10.50am
I agree that they don't throw free parties for the staff, Gwynaethva, but there was that whole Veola party scandal about a year or so back where they spent, I think, 20K or perhaps more on a big do.

I think people woulod be a lot more sympathetic if they DID spend it on staff Xmas parties!
Wednesday 18 November 2009 11.16am
The planning applications for the building on the corner of Long Lane and Bermondsey Street, the little shops next to Tanners Yard and the big warehouse behind have all now been approved by the council.... Not sure what's happening to the building with the big metal roller shutter on Long Lane though.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 2.49pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
...I think people woulod be a lot more sympathetic if they DID spend it on staff Xmas parties!

Completely agree!! ;o) heh heh
Wednesday 18 November 2009 4.51pm
Great news Andy, looks like they're wasting no time in starting work! :)

I don't think the building with the roller shutter is of any architectural or historical significance or really adding anything to the conservation area and would expect it will bite the dust as soon as work starts on the warehouse, as and when planning permission is received.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 5.15pm
i must disagree - I think it is a sad state of affairs when all remnants of days past are swept away - with the exception of St Mary Magdalene (sic), I think this particular part of Long Lane will lose any trace of its past. If I recall correctly (and I'm sure I could be wrong) the subject properties were used as antique shops and, before that, one of them was almost certainly an old 'beer house', according to an old OS map I've got at home somewhere.

Smoggy says it won't add anything to the conservation area, but how can this be, especially since it is not one particular building that makes up the CA but many buildings which all add to the character.

Typically, though, Southwark Council has rubberstamped it! What is the point of the council issuing 'policies' dealing with "Density of Residential Development" when it flagrantly disregards them!

Be that as it may, these buildings will be up by the middle of next year and all traces obliterated of the fine industrial buildings that stood there for nigh on 100 years (not sure of exact dates).

I must be the only one who feels this way and so I won't bore you all any longer!
Wednesday 18 November 2009 5.25pm
Er Gavin, have you actually bothered to read any of this thread before leaping off on your own tangent? The antiques markets buildings are staying and being restored.

This I believe to be good news and of far more relevance to this thread than Southwark Council crimbo parties.

I suggest that you actually read each post in this thread before commenting further!
Wednesday 18 November 2009 6.41pm
Smoggy,

I think that's a bit harsh - this is meant to be a friendly forum.

I have some sympathy with Gavin's position, but I actually think the Bermondsey area and Southwark Council are very GOOD at re-developing the borough for modern day needs (mostly housing and restaurants ;)) whilst retaining some of the historical facades. It would be nice to have lots of light industrial units for antique dealers and artisans, but that's not economically viable when SE1 has become such a desirable place to live.

Chris
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions