London SE1 community website

Building on corner of Bermondsey St/Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 18 November 2009 7.46pm
er, Smoggy, are you a bit thick? I think so...

Re-read my post, you idiot. YOu will see I said the properties in question were previously used as antique shops.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 9.13pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
er, Smoggy, are you a bit thick? I think so...
Re-read my post, you idiot. YOu will see I said the properties in question were previously used as antique shops.

OK, I was about to apologise for if my previous post came across as a little short, however I don't think I'll bother! :D

Yes you did indeed say that the buildings were previously used as antiques shops and you also said about them:

Gavin Smith wrote:
Be that as it may, these buildings will be up by the middle of next year and all traces obliterated of the fine industrial buildings that stood there for nigh on 100 years (not sure of exact dates).

How can this be the case when the Antiques Market buildings are not being demolished? Indeed some of them are listed! They may be going to be used for a purpose different to their original use but isn't the case with the vast majority of historic buildings in the area?

Would you prefer for these lovely buildings to be left to rot until a use for them that you see as being more suitable than housing comes along? I fear that you would be waiting a long time my friend because the tanning industry that they were used for originally doesn't exist here anymore!
Wednesday 18 November 2009 9.45pm
I think we're at cross purposes here - the row of small shops at the end of Bermondsey Street/Long Lane is included in this application.

My point is not converting the use - of course there is no leather trade around these parts any longer - it is about an over-saturation of housing in this particular area which, in the most part, is tacky and lacks any sort of character. There is enough housing,at least of the sort proposed, in this particular area and the building/site could be used for something far better.

Of course I would not rather the buildings be left to rot; I would prefer a better use for them to be found. However, sadly, economics and financial gain prevail in the sense that the property has been left in a dilapidated condition probably to circumvent any demolision (sic) requirements and to ease through plans to redevelop.

I apologise for my rude words previously.

My key point is that there is enough of this type in the area already.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 9.55pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I think we're at cross purposes here - the row of small shops at the end of Bermondsey Street/Long Lane is included in this application.
My point is not converting the use - of course there is no leather trade around these parts any longer - it is about an over-saturation of housing in this particular area which, in the most part, is tacky and lacks any sort of character. There is enough housing,at least of the sort proposed, in this particular area and the building/site could be used for something far better.

Of course I would not rather the buildings be left to rot; I would prefer a better use for them to be found. However, sadly, economics and financial gain prevail in the sense that the property has been left in a dilapidated condition probably to circumvent any demolision (sic) requirements and to ease through plans to redevelop.

I apologise for my rude words previously.

My key point is that there is enough of this type in the area already.

No worries :) no offence taken and apologies if my initial post caused offence.

I totally agree with you that there are too much cheaply built, overdeveloped residential sites around SE1 and the initial proposals to flatten this site and build such a development were an absolute scandal which is why many us living nearby protested against it. The scheme proposed however seems to me to be a sympathetic restoration of the Antiques Market buildings. I really look forward to seeing these beauties brought back into use.
Friday 20 November 2009 10.48am
I think I'm correct in saying that the 3 little shops have planning for an additional mansard roof, to incorporate offices on the ground floor and 3 flats above. keeping the existing buildings. Seems a very appopriate planning decision and a good mix to me...
Friday 18 December 2009 10.58am
I think it's great that the buildings are staying. Even the consideration of their demolition seems crazy and incredibly short sighted.

But personally I feel the redevelopment needs to be more community/socially focused. Turning those three small shops on long lane into offices on the ground floor does nothing to add to the feel of the area- bar adding a few more people.

Caffe incas is fantastic as well as Bermondsey Streets attractions and it feels like we need more independent shops in the area. The rather non-descript garage building would be perfect for a food store/ cafe kind of space, any one been to Bill's in Brighton? Fantastic food www.billsproducestore.co.uk.

I find it funny that Borough has such a 'foodie' (i hate that word) reputation (get rid of the market and there are very few similar draws). If there were a few more market type places or even interesting bars, cafes or shops then the area would be even better!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions