London SE1 community website

Tooley Street road works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Zoe
Thursday 19 November 2009 9.14pm
I asked the local police if they could take action to stop people cycling illegally the wrong way and they have turned up on several occasions so I wanted to take the opportunity to thank them, as it's been quite dangerous as times cycling down there.

You can cycle legally east bound, but the westbound detour is far too long, and is a bit daft really, but I manage to do it everyday so other cyclists should as well, so there!
Thursday 19 November 2009 11.02pm
One of the funniest things I've seen in a long while was our dear mayor BoJo trying to push his bike along the Tooley Street pavement and make a phone call at the same time.

Credit to him for abiding by the rules, but it was clearly using a dangerously high percentage of his brain power.
Friday 20 November 2009 12.14am
yes it was in the right direction, yes I do stop at traffic lights, yes I had right of way - yet the cars would rather have taken the risk. PS - southwark do an excellent free cycling training course to teach techniques of cycling in london - so many people forget to look behind them. I highly recommend it even if your already cycling and drive - it will totally change your perception of how you should be cycling.

Cycling isnt going anyway - so we better all start respecting each other and I say that to other cyclists too
Friday 20 November 2009 7.36pm
phoney wrote:
A pedestrian shouted at me the other day when I was cycling along the footpath on Crucifix Lane. Why do we need two wide footpaths for pedestrians anyway.

Hear Hear Phoney, why not transport pedestrians to a penal colony in the Antipodes, insolent wretches, the pavements are for pedestrians??, the very idea of it!, what will they want next, cyclists to stop at red lights? You have got more front than Brighton Phoney.
Friday 20 November 2009 11.17pm
phoney wrote:
A pedestrian shouted at me the other day when I was cycling along the footpath on Crucifix Lane.

Debra, steady on for pointing this out - phoney will create a childish animated gif/picture to prove pavement cyclist have the right of way on a footpath and that you are wrong!
Saturday 21 November 2009 11.34am
Jac wrote:
I am not defending bad cyclists, and the one you refer to Pops was clearly in the wrong but you have already told us about that incident on the thread about pedestrian barriers on st.Georges road does it really need repeating?
Pardon me for breathing Jac. I aint going to bother posting anymore, you and the clique have put me right off this web site. THANKS
Jac
Saturday 21 November 2009 1.58pm
Pops I would hate to think I have put anyone off posting but I really do not know what / who this clique it is that you have now twice accused me of being a part of is.

I have to say that I do think that just recently the forum has been less friendly and have myself been put off reading/posting at times which is a great shame as i have come to love this site over the years and think it is very special. . I do not think I have been particularly controversial or confrontational in my posts I certainly have not intended to be but if I have offended you some how then please accept my sincere apologies and please do not stop posting because of anything I have said.
Sunday 22 November 2009 4.49pm
To answer Julia's original question the chaps at the bus info place at Canada Water tell me that the road is due to reopen the end of next week. Sorry to those of you who like the 47 bus diversion but to those of us who work near Tower Bridge it will be lovely to have the stop by the magistrates open again and be that little bit closer to the office :). Not so bad when it's dry but in this wet and windy weather we've been having that extra walk from behind Devon Mansions makes all the difference to arriving at work a soggy mess or not!!
Wednesday 9 December 2009 10.02am
Article in The Times today re cycling on the pavement.
At the beginning of the first great bicycling craze, in 1869, the law was a bit unclear but the nuisance was much the same.
William Guy's Velo did, according to the magistrate. He was given quite a hefty fine, (10p) 30 or 40 in today's money, when he was caught in Clapham Road:
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions