London SE1 community website

Evans Bicycle shop - does anyone like them?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 24 August 2007 10.17am
I've used Evans, on yer bike, Edwardes, halfords (ugh!) and Decathlon - but now I go to the London Bicycle Repair shop for everything - if they haven't something in stock they can order it; they are cheap, friendly and very knowledgable, and they never make one feel silly or ignorant - their repairs are of excellent standard and they can customise or build things for you.... very good
Friday 24 August 2007 10.31pm
Wow that's an impressive bit of thread restarting! 5 years between posts!

Well for what it's worth, I've only bought tyres from Evans London Bridge so can't really judge them but the one just off Fenchurch Street is decent.

Had the mountain bike serviced at On Yer Bike last year and was impressed, particularly liked it when I questioned them about upgrading the crankset to XT and was told it probably wouldn't make a huge amount of difference. I filed them down as a shop that wouldn't rip me off and so have spend a fair amount on cycling paraphanelia with them since!
Tuesday 6 November 2007 5.47pm
I detest Evans as a cycle shop you are lucky if they acknowledge that you've been standing at the counter after about 15 mins! I once bought some brake pads from the Blackfriars branch and later found it had been opened and had two left pads in there. When I took it back they were really snotty and refused to replace them - I resorted to an email argument with customer services on a point of principal and got them to agree to replace them. When I went back to the shop armed with the managers name, the counter person didn't know who his manager was when I asked for him by name! Says it all...
I love On Yer Bike - used to use the London Bridge shop when I worked that way - lovely guys. Now I trek to Condor on Grays Inn as I refuse to cross Evans threshold. They are a hateful organisation....
Tuesday 6 November 2007 11.04pm
London Bicycle repairs

would recommned them. Been there a couple of times and have fixed minor probs and not even charged me !
Wednesday 7 November 2007 12.38am
Just to provide some balance... London Bicycle Repairs has been raved about on this forum before and based on those reviews I went there to get a chain problem sorted out. They dealt with it there and then, replacing the chain with a new one. I left happy.

A month later the new chain starts giving me problems, so I think: perhaps it's just time to give this thing a full-on service. At my usual bike shop,London Fields Cycles in Hackney, there's a month-long wait for a service and it doesn't come cheap. With London Bicycle Repairs it cost a measly 40 and I was able to bring it in on the day I wanted it serviced and collect it next day. Result!

But the day after I collected it, I had to go back because of a problem with the derailleur. They dealt with it. I rode off. A week later, another problem with the gears, and I had to go back again! I was a bit peed off by this point. I thought: I've only just bought a new chain a month ago, and had this serviced a week ago, and corrected a day ago; I shouldn't need to be here AGAIN getting something else fixed.

Same thing happened with my flatmate - he had to take it back after a service because the chain kept slipping. I always thought the point of a service was to solve and prevent problems, not create new ones.

So maybe it's good for repairs, but I wouldn't get my bike serviced there again. A pity, because I really really wanted this to be THE place I bring my bike for its every need.
Wednesday 7 November 2007 7.43am
The only real bike shop in town is Condor on Gray's Inn Rd. All the guys in there ride professionally and they treat you with respect n omatter how big or smal the problem is. There's a very good reason why it is always busy.
Wednesday 7 November 2007 8.15am
Although I have recommended Condor in this forum previously, it is simply not true to say "all the guys in there ride professionally".

Condor do jointly operate/sponsor the Rapha Condor team which in turn contains some elite and pro riders.
Wednesday 7 November 2007 9.42am
hoping Condor will live up to their billing as I have mine in there today for a major service - I'll keep you posted....got a little frisson of pleasure as I rode past Evans to get there...wallys
Wednesday 7 November 2007 5.39pm
...it is simply not true to say "all the guys in there ride professionally".

Fair point. I dashed the comment off just before leaving for work, I meant it more in the context of club riding, which is a notch up from trundling to work everyday. They are also cheaper than Evans in respect of bike parts, so I can see no reason to be going there, honestly, though perhaps they do still retain a retail edge in respect of touring frames.
Wednesday 7 November 2007 7.14pm
Tolstoy - agreed. Great shop, especially if you need advice on clothing, ask Karl.

Straying a little from SE1 but great for a laugh - The Fat Cyclist blog via UK trade site BikeBiz and what let's call "The Evans Experience"

(Fattie's a useful cyclist btw)

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/news/29184/Fat-Cyclist-turns-his-attention-to-bike-shop-kids
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions