London SE1 community website

Mayoral election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Current: 10 of 10
Friday 21 May 2004 12.24am
Henry, I was born and raised in this country, and have never felt like a second class citizen, full stop, let alone ever felt like a second class citizen as a result of minorities being given an advantage over me. But then, I know I'm not a second class citizen, so why would I ever let anyone make me feel that way?

I have an uncle who was also born and raised in this country, who was in the army from the age of 18 to 25, who served this country in Northern Ireland and other places and who has been treated like a second class citizen simply because of the colour of his skin. But he doesn't feel like a second class citizen, because, again, he knows he's not.

And his father and my grandfather fought in the second world war so that people like you and me would have the right to discuss this sort of thing openly and freely. However, if the BNP took over this country, none of us would have that right - not even pure-blooded English people like you. (Which, incidentally, I doubt you are. The English are a race of mongrels as a result of thousands of years of invasion. Even our Royal Family isn't English!)

Immigration is not the problem in this country: bigotry is.
Friday 21 May 2004 7.48am
I can understand your fears henry, it's not as though they're without historical precedent. I can think of a recent example of a nation that was swamped by migrants from an alien culture, who eventually partitioned the country into a large ghetto, in which they discriminated against the indigenous population. They took control of everything from industry to civic administration. The locals eventually took matters into their own hands, when increasingly they were denied the most basic of rights. But they became subject to further persecution from the invaders, until troops had to be sent in to help them. This didn't help much, as the rights of the natives continued to be ignored, as priority was still given to the foreigner invader. The natives fought back, taking a guerrilla war to the homeland of the invaders, with the inevitable catastrophic results……….
I'll stop there. It's very (very) simplistic I know, but I'll bet you never thought you'd have any empathy with the Catholics in Ulster did you ?
I'm still to hear what I might gain as a Londoner, by voting for your man. One final thought: who will you seek out to blame your problems on when your Utopia comes to pass? Because you'll always need a scapegoat.
Go in peace henry

Ignorance is bliss
Friday 21 May 2004 10.50am
It's fairly clear that Henry continues to avoid the question that everybody wants answered because it includes all those that he regards as being part of the problem. The BNP doesn't propose doing anything to benefit ALL Londoners, just some of them.

Isn't it the case (at least according to Peter Ackroyd) that London has only ever existed as a trading town and therefore has always echoed to the sound of foreign tongues? Isn't it the mix of people that IS London? And aren't our traditions often from far flung sources? Like tea? Or fish and chips?

I know these words might seem simplistic in the face of current arguments about migration, immigration and economics but these are the kind of things that would be removed from future development of London's culture if the BNP were to get their way.
Friday 21 May 2004 10.59am
Where would we send you back to Henry, if you traced your roots?
Sunday 23 May 2004 9.48pm
Steve Noris isn't a viable alternative to Ken livingston ,

Simon Hughes will catch up in the final straits, and win

I think when confronted with the reality of a voting paper

Steven Noris will fair very badly.

It would be a disaster if Steve Noris wins

Is this forum having technical problems or is it my computer
Monday 24 May 2004 9.22am
Neither is going to win - Ken will walk it.

Simon Hughes hasn't got a hope.
Thursday 3 June 2004 12.24pm
This article from today's Guardian Unlimited offers an interesting commentry on the BNP, and people's reactions to it.
Thursday 3 June 2004 2.57pm
There was another article referred to in that piece, which asserted that between May 2003, when they were elected, and October 2003, when the article was written, The BNP contingent in Burnley had failed to put forward any motions, initiatives, nor had they contributed to any debates. Now that's a real alternative.

Ignorance is bliss
Sunday 6 June 2004 9.11am
.........and a really nice bunch of people:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,1232361,00.html

Ignorance is bliss
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Current: 10 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions