London SE1 community website

Mayoral election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Monday 8 March 2004 4.13pm
i thought michael was showing us how incoherent with rage he was at the thought of ken getting in for another term

[are you going to the Oak on Weds mapmaker? i feel we really should meet, after having so much fun over the last few months in cyberspace]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 8 March 2004 9.19pm
Because of Simon Hughes's active support for the campaign to save the moorings by Tower Bridge and his excellent attempt to mediate between the grotesquely arrogant occupants of the flats and the boat peopl .he definitely stands an excellent chance of becoming Mayor.

Post edited (08 Mar 04 21:21)
Monday 8 March 2004 9.48pm
I'm growing to love Micheal's spelling. 'Tat Modern' is another gem.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 7.21am
[Sadly am otherwise engaged, otherwise should definitely have been there.]
Tuesday 9 March 2004 7.26am
'The latest polling figures show that the Mayoral Election is a two horse race, with Steve Norris closing the gap on Ken Livingstone. In a YouGov poll commissioned for ITN on March 1st, the Mayor polled 46% of the vote to Steve Norris' 31%.'

No sign of the Liberal democrats. A Gray/Green vote (fine color scheme) would be a wasted vote: make your vote heard, either Norris or Livingstone.

I'm not sure that standing up for the boat people is a big vote winner across London!
Tuesday 9 March 2004 8.48am
Pollsters that ask direct questions (and get straight answers) will find their findings are weakened by the fact that the system used in the elections is one of transferable votes. I agree the barges issue might not make to much of an impact but SH is widely respected by people outside of his party and just the sort of candidate to benefit from transferable votes.

If he is 6/1 its worth a punt

gggggrrrrrruuff
Tuesday 9 March 2004 9.57am
I also think the fact that the odds on Simon Hughes have shortened from 9/1 to 6/1 since late January suggests that quite a few informed punters have a clear understanding both of the way campaigns develop and London's Mayoral electoral system.
This may be a better forecast than YouGov's snapshot opinion poll.

See Mary Anne Sieghart's article in the Times on 23 January

PS Has anyone else noticed that after 20 years of people being kept waiting for him because he was still chatting to people at his last event, Simon has finally started turning up to events on time!!!
Tuesday 9 March 2004 10.25am
I do respect Simon Hughes for taking on the SE1 postal service issue via this forum.

But I think Ken is a permanent fixture as London's mayor. He still manages to command respect from a wide section of Londoners.

I guess kowtowing to Berkeley Homes and other developers was a doffing of cap to New Labour.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 10.50am
I can't see it from a punting POV, HotDog.

If he was something like 25/1, and you got each way 1/4 the odds for 2nd place, then that might be a value bet.

I think SH has gone downhill over the last few years (in terms of profile in the area and in general). It may well be a reflection on me and the amount of "serious" articles I read nowadays compared to a few years ago, but I remember him as being much more prominent when I first moved to the area (bad memory for dates, but say 8 yrs ago). I seem to hardly hear of him nowadays, and have never seen him or any of his canvassers since the first year I moved here.

Norris is a tricky proposition, from this punter's point of view. Will he pick up the block Tory/anti-Ken vote? Is there anything else to recommend him (apart from him not being Ken - which seems to be attractive to a few people)?. I can see SH coming second (to Ken), but can't imagine him (or Norris) winning.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 11.15am
sputnik

In other words he cared more about getting back in to labour
than he does about London

Ivanhoe returns

Norris is a none starter
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions