London SE1 community website

Mayoral election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Monday 5 April 2004 7.07pm
Why not take a look at the BNP website for yourself. Then you can see what Julian Leppart will do for you.

It can be found at www.bnp.org.uk

Post edited (05 Apr 04 19:09)
Monday 5 April 2004 7.33pm
I certainly won't. Every hit their website gets, is one too many.
Monday 5 April 2004 7.47pm
Well I thought it only fair that I should have a look. However after having done so, and reading what they had to say for themselves, I've learned nothing new. These people have nothing positive to offer Londoners. Sadly, there will be people who vote for their candidate because they share their paranoid, deluded view of the world.

Ignorance is bliss
Monday 5 April 2004 10.52pm
I have seen a long documentary on tv about the BNP and knew that I am not going to learn anything new from their website.

But, on the other hand, we should realise that the electorate of the BNP are the people who feel neglected by the mainstream political parties who have for a long time ignored social issues out of political correctness. It's this political correctness that made things worse and causes people to vote extreme right.
Monday 5 April 2004 11.26pm
Oh it's good to see that Henry Thomas has "outed" himself.
From his earlier post on the TV licensing debate, I had just assumed him to be a troll...

"Why the hell should I pay taxes to educate other peoples kids and give health care and provide benefits to people who have kids who cannot afford to keep them without handouts from the government (my taxes). If people can't afford to have kids without benefits and handouts from others then they should not have them."

I agree with Maurits that we do need to be aware of the conditions that lead to the BNP becoming established in an area.

In Bermondsey and Rotherhithe, we are lucky that despite an ongoing history of BNP and National Front marches etc (and a National Front vote of 1.5% across the constituency in 2001) , few of the established white working class communities have seen the fatal combination of local authority neglect and an insular culture, which characterised areas across the river in Tower Hamlets that proved immensely susceptible to the siren song of the BNP in the 1990s.

But we do need to remain vigilant :

"... the BNP has often promoted violence. In 1991, the BNP newspaper gloated after several BNP supporters stabbed an African immigrant at London Bridge station. The victim had his "kidney surgically removed", the paper boasted. In the same year, the BNP leadership whipped up a racist riot in Bermondsey, London, and led an attack on an anti-racist meeting held to protest against the BNP headquarters in Welling. Thirteen people needed hospital treatment. " http://www.searchlightmagazine.com/
Tuesday 6 April 2004 6.08pm
I certainly wouldnt believe every thing you read in searchlight magazine.
Tuesday 6 April 2004 6.53pm
Actually, Henry, I am sufficiently independent minded to scrutinise it, and am aware that the BNP is cock-a-hoop that the magazine has lost some libel cases in recent years.

Despite actually speaking against Gerry Gable (the long-standing editor of Searchlight) on a university campus some fifteen years ago on the issue of "no-platform" for racist speakers, I have a great deal more respect for the general high level of accuracy of his magazine's research.
Tuesday 6 April 2004 7.26pm
So henry, what do you think that the BNP could do for us that would improve our lives?

Ignorance is bliss
Wednesday 7 April 2004 3.36pm
THE BRITISH National Party's candidate for London Mayor, Julian Leppert, was denied a place on the panel at an open meeting for the mayoral candidates at the Bromley Civic Centre on 2nd April. He was the only candidate barred from the debate, after a threat by other candidates to walk out if the BNP representative was allowed to address the audience.
The effective gagging of a candidate by using such blackmail angered many in the audience and attracted the attention of the media present.

At an impromptu press conference in front of the other candidates, Julian Leppert told reporters:

"London is sinking under a sea of illegal immigrants. Our essential services are being swamped, the pressure on accommodation is at breaking point and crime rates are going through the roof.

"The BNP is the only political party that has the policies to address these issues by calling for an end to asylum and immigration into Britain and the removal of all those people who have no right to be living in our country.

"The fact that I am banned from this meeting tells voters two things. Firstly, that my mayoral manifesto is completely different from all of the others. Their agendas are basically the same. They might argue about the minutiae of certain policies but when it comes to anything that might not be considered 'politically correct', none of them have anything to say.

"Secondly, they are petrified that my message will appeal to voters. So much so, that they would rather have no meeting at all, rather than let me address those here.

"I hope Londoners will be as appalled as I am that free speech on an issue that is so important to the capital is being suppressed."
Wednesday 7 April 2004 9.00pm
Um, the precise reason why I disagreed with Gerry Gable fifteen years ago was because a no platform policy allows the BNP to put out press releases claiming to be victimised while slotting in racist bile between statements on freedom of speech that old fashioned liberals find hard to dispute.

London's services are primarily under stretch from legal economic migration by white britons from the rest of the UK, and to a much lesser extent white EU citizens taking advantage of the booming economy of Europe's only "world city".

And - you still haven't answered barkyhead's question:

"So henry, what do you think that the BNP could do for us that would improve our lives?"
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions