London SE1 community website

Royal Mail woes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Thursday 1 April 2010 7.43am
Nelson I have to say that you are wrong regarding soreign suppliers. I am also living in SE1 and during the strike we also had issues with missing post, but since the strike has stopped everything is back to normal.
We get nearly every day letters (from UK and Europe) and specially as a Swiss we get a lot of post from home and also send a lot of letters back home and usualy it takes 2 max 3 days until the post arrives. Perhaps the issue is just at the post office which supplies your post you can ask.
Thursday 1 April 2010 6.40pm
Sidi wrote:
Perhaps the issue is just at the post office which supplies your post you can ask.

I assume you have not been following the postal discussions on this forum for very long?

How can you say I am wrong when it is my packets that are missing and I know they are missing? Where exactly are you advising me to ask, Madela Way? Don't you think I have done it, I also assume you have never dealt with them yourself?
Thursday 1 April 2010 7.54pm
Nelson, you are wrong in all your points. We had a postal strike last year and a lot of people were affected by this including myself and yes I dealt with the post and also the police regarding this as the letter which went lost was very important!
But since January the post is working absolutly fine in my case and I will repeat myself now, we get nearly every day post (and so do the people around us as I see the postman) and also get letters from abroad. What I wanted to say with your area, did you check regarding postman or my guess is when they sort perhaps your area is more affected then others. As I do not work in a post office I can not tell.
Other question, did you check with the customs if this might have been an issue if your letter/parcel is coming from abroad?
Thursday 1 April 2010 10.15pm
I don't understand why you want to argue with me, Sidi. My post has been OK here most of the time, even when other people here have said they have problems. Why is so hard to believe that I genuinely feel it is not good at the moment, whatever the reason? Of course it depends on the sorting office, the Post office has absolutely nothing to do with delivering our mail. And yes, it will not be a customs issue from within the EU. I am glad you see your postman every day, but I don't at the moment. And I have at least three packets missing at the moment and there is nothing I can do about it other than moan about it and contact the senders to send them again and am feeling frustrated, justifiedly I would have thought.

I just have to assume there is some language barrier thing here, as telling someone who is venting their own experiences and fustrations that they are wrong is just rude.
Thursday 1 April 2010 11.06pm
er hold on a minute.
Could we hazard to assume both Nelson and Sidi are talking about their personal experiences?
My post has been quite regular this week, (about 2pm) including a letter from my bank (posted first class) which took just three days. Things have not returned to how they once were (perhaps how they should be), but they appear to be stable, I wonder if stopping using bicycles will change the delivery pattern again?
Sunday 4 April 2010 7.50pm
I will now backtrack a little bit, as Sidi has made me think and they might be making a little bit sense after all... as I was so quick just to assume Royal Mail has lost my packages, it might well be Parcelforce as well. Now I will have to find out in exactly what category my items were sent in, as some countries do not regognise the Small packet category as we have here with Royal Mail. Does anybody know what happens to foreign mail when it arrives in the UK? Who decides what goes to Parcelforce and what to Royal Mail, in case of smaller parcels? I suspect it might be quite random? And Parcelforce do leave the items often at Post Offices, I have had to pick things up from Borough High Street before (even if Blackfriars Road office is virtually visible from the front door here). I think their customer service will just insist they will have left a card though if they have attempted delivery... I had to phone them once and the service I get was appalingly bad. They just basically told me snottily to ask my neighbours if they have my parcel, and there was no card. Tracking info showed it had been signed by somebody...
Tuesday 6 April 2010 9.19pm
The mobile phone charger that I sent to my daughter's office in SE1 by first class post on the 26th of March, has still not yet arrived. The 1-65 I spent on the postage has gone down the Swanee and she has had to pay out for a new charger. Thank you Royal Mail. Worse than useless!
Tuesday 6 April 2010 10.05pm
Having vented my spleen in the above posting, I would like to add the following.
In 1965 I was a postman, working at the Walworth Sub-District Office which, back then, was in Penrose Street. We made two deliveries per day. We didn't have bicycles or twee little trolleys to carry the letters in. All the mail my fellow postmen and I deleivered, (and there was loads of it,) was in a sack slung over our shoulders. When we embarked on our rounds we looked like Santa Claus, such was the size of our sacks, and every day was Christmas!
One of my rounds was the 'Munton Road' round, and it contained lots of tenements and business addresses which received, metaphorically speaking, tons of mail every day. My other round was the 'Pullen's' round, in the area of Peacock Street, with its four-storey tenements without lifts. The Royal Mail, (or G.P.O. as it was know then,) was a well-oiled machine with a hard working and conscientious workforce. The mail always got through. Where did it all go wrong? I supopose I could laugh and say it was never the same after I left, but I'm not in the mood.
Thursday 8 April 2010 10.00am
Rejoice!
My daughter's phone charger, posted by first class post on the 26th of March has now arrived. Compared to some of the horror stories I've been reading on this thread, I suppose I should count myself lucky.
TAK
Thursday 21 October 2010 12.32am
Once again, as I got home I had two royal mail signed for letters in my letter box - of course, no-one has signed for.
This seems to happen at all times nowadays (or at least in the Newington ward) - what's the point to send something signed for if the postman doesn't bother to get a signature?

If any councillor is reading this - could you lodge a complaint to royal mail on resident's behalf please?
Thank you!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions