London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16
Friday 5 March 2004 11.36am
I'm in Bank street. is waitrose very far?

jan
Friday 5 March 2004 11.44am
Jane - (IMHO) Hill Station Bittersweet Chocolate knocks the pants even off Green & Blacks (as does the Cardomom, the Rum and Toasted Coconut and the Stem Ginger).

Sometimes stocked both at Waitrose in Canary Wharf and the Tescos at Surrey Quays....

Friday 5 March 2004 11.49am
yes. but what about the wine?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 5 March 2004 12.00pm
Harriet, I bow to your superior ice-cream knowledge which is obviously based on extensive research. It would be a triumph if we could get Borough Sainsburys to stock either brand....but I don't think they have room [big mistake not building a bigger store - I think they under-estimated the potential] but Waitrose still rules.
Friday 5 March 2004 1.44pm
Yes, Ivanhoe, it really is a SUPERmarket - you can have wine, coffee, snacks, or whatever you fancy before going to the checkout. It seems that the wine bar is also popular in itself, attracting people in the area rather than just shoppers.

Sainsbury's in Borough is quite useless, also. It overcharges on almost everything, and their staff (like in almost every sainsbury's) seem scripted in everything they say.

But yes, Waitrose rules. In the Canary Wharf branch, they have a cafe thingy, where i once had a roll filled with roast lamb. Not cheap, but there were about three sheep in it. And the bread was fresh and crispy .. mmmmm.

Back to the tesco of doom .. The other day when we were looking at tea, contemplating such an important of issue of which to buy, some oaf in trainers, jeans, and an untucked Tesco shirt stood directly in front of us and started stacking the shelf, completely blocking us from even seeing the various products, let along pick one up (to his credit, he did say 'excuse me').

If only there were a Borough Waitrose or something!
Friday 5 March 2004 2.24pm
thanks Simon. I thought the other poster must have been joking.

I'm assuming that all the other facilities still mean that they have room for a bit of tradtional foodselling?

Friday 5 March 2004 2.47pm
What script do the Sainsbury's staff read from? Tesco staff seem to read from "I'm sorry I haven't a clue." My favourite Tesco story concerns a friend who asked a member of staff in the Elephant Tesco, where the vegetarian sausages were. He was told,
"Vegetables are over there and the sausages are down there."
Friday 5 March 2004 3.15pm
They do have a script at Borough sainsburys Alan. They shock the customer by making eye contact, smiling, asking how you are, trying to be helpful, and then wishing you a pleasant day on the way out. The first few times I went, I found it so pleasant and unlike any other retail experience I've grown used to, as to be almost disconcerting.

I quite liked it, until I heard it for the third or fourth time and realised it couldn't just be pleasant coincidence (and that the pretty young girl on the checkout wasn't smiling so hard at me because she liked me).

That's the way they shatter your heart nowadays.

[hope to join you wednesday for cider. just have to check that weds isn't when i've also promised to be in the Oak to play cards. will put a post on your thread in chatter on Monday at the latest. if i can't make weds, how are you fixed for tues?]

rm
Friday 5 March 2004 3.20pm
Sainsburys at New Cross is an absolute pleasure...... After years of frustration and anger every week at Tescos in Surrey Quays I now quite enjoy perusing the aisles..........................
Anonymous User
Friday 5 March 2004 3.29pm
All supermarkets suck... they are almost as soul destroying as launderettes & quite frankly I wish I had a wife that could do the dirty job for me!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions