London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 16
Friday 5 March 2004 4.05pm
It has gone sadly downhill since I first shopped there fifteen years ago - despite the so-called makeover - I had to go to Iceland to buy my haggis for Burns Night this year!

[I have a mug on my office desk that I bought there for 67p in 1988 - remember it well as it was my first purchase on first day working in London!]
Friday 5 March 2004 4.07pm
Am VERY pleased to see that M&S at More london is due to open next Wednesday.
Will help me out no end when I get home and realise that there's nothing in for dinner, don't want a take-away but couldn't possibly cope with OK road...
Friday 5 March 2004 7.16pm
What is it about supermarkets that makes them such a hot topic!

You've all got me going, now. I have been to Tesco Surrey Quays, and Safeway in Wapping (at least I think it's Safeways - signs directing you to the 'Superstore' made me expect a French hypermarket-sized shop!). And you know I'm a regular at Tesco Metro Canary Wharf - but now I'll have to try Waitrose CW in July - so I'll be dragging my plastic Waitrose bags (even that's a novelty - you have to pay for the plastic bags here in Ireland), full of tinnies of cider and naughty biscuits and cakes, on the DLR/tube, back to the noisy chaos of Kings Cross, to the Premier Lodge that probably won't have been built by then!

My daughters enjoy a trip to Woolies too - (pick n mix a big hit). We used to have Woolies in Ireland, but they left about 25 years ago!

(I really think I should do some sort of newspaper column or t.v. show demonstrating how to enjoy the finer things in life!!!)
Friday 5 March 2004 7.39pm
Are you a fellow Stowford Press drinker, Ivanhoe? Have just been to the Oak this evening. Isn't the food there orgasmically good?

Where is this new Magic and Sparkle store, Tanya?
Friday 5 March 2004 7.56pm
To answer your Waitrose question, Ivanhoe, yes - they do have space for conventional shopping. Though it seems to be a bit small in terms of its shopping space, by comparison to other Waitroses, and it also seems to be lacking anything frozen except for ice-cream (which should please Harriet).

The store is a Waitrose 'Food and Home' store, so it's a standard waitrose, with a bit of John Lewis stock combined - thinks like crockery and kitchenwares. They also have an 'upstairs' where, last time i looked, they had christmas decorations. Since it's now March, I presume that's long gone.

They also have a proper wine cellar rather than just shelves. A pure orgasm in grape-related products. Mmmmm.

See www.waitrose.com/canarywharf for more info. (I don't work for Waitrose - promise!)
Saturday 6 March 2004 12.07pm
Lang Rabbie, I was in exactly the same position as you on Burn's night three years ago. I finally established that Tesco had no haggis only after having to explain to several members of staff what they were. Have you tried Porterford's in Bow Lane? It's behind St Mary le Bow. They sell McSween's haggis and fine haggis it is too. They also sell McSween's vegetarian haggis, this is actually better than a lot of traditional ones I've tried. As for Stepford Sainsburys, I think I'll give it a miss. I remember a radio broadcast a few years back (The Food Programme?) in which they discussed the great disparity in prices between Safeway USA and their British counterparts. The supermarket spokesman said that they charge higher prices in Britain, "because we can."
Al
Saturday 6 March 2004 12.37pm
FWIW I happened to see haggis in St Kat's Safeway last week. I was tempted....
Saturday 6 March 2004 12.55pm
Waitrose at CW rules. It is also the only S/market where I bump into people I know. It sells Hovis digestives too, which despite being delicious are hard to find.

Will Morrisons hold onto Safeway at St Cat's dock? How can we hint to them that they should flog it to Waitrose.
Saturday 6 March 2004 12.57pm
I think that at least one of the stalls in Borough Market had been selling haggis, but I had clean forgotten to buy one Saturday a.m.

Although the Iceland haggises didn't have the flavour that comes from a real casing, they were ridiculously cheap, and surprisingly full of flavour. In previous years, I have bought three McSween's haggises at Edinburgh prices at Christmas, flown down with it them in my carry on baggage and frozen them until the eve of Burns Night. Living up to a Scots sterotype - surely not!!! :)

So I think the message is: bargain hunt in Iceland and the market stalls, and use the pennies you save to fund all those inevitable impulse buys in Waitrose at CW. [It is possible to live week to week without cacha├ža, premium japanese rice crackers etc.]

Post edited (08 Mar 04 12:43)
Saturday 6 March 2004 1.33pm
Simon - M&S food shop in the More London development, opposite the top of Bermondsey st. Fabulous!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions