London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 16
Sue
Monday 8 March 2004 11.44am
There's a nice little M & S foodshop in Waterloo Station also. I very rarely use Tesco Elephant these days, mostly get basic and heavy to carry, and boring stuff through Tesco home delivery, usually comes the next day, and more exciting stuff from Borough Market.
Monday 8 March 2004 11.49am
Riyad deli on OK Rd is great for fresh olives, feta, halloumi and fresh herbs at way lower prices than OK Rd Tesco (which is more or less opposite).

Post edited (08 Mar 04 11:49)
Monday 8 March 2004 11.52am
also the Boots in the Elephant shopping centre is terrible, really dirty and many things are out of date or out of stock. I think it's the poverty of the area - Boots on Walworth Rd is the same. The parent company doesn't invest if it doesn't perceive there to be rich consumers hanging around.
Monday 8 March 2004 11.55am
Simon,

Thanks for the info above. I am indeed a Stowford Press drinker (when I'm not on the excellent Harveys bitter at the Oak), I also love the food (although always a good idea to query how long any fish specials have been in the fridge), and regularly go on short rations for a day in order to do full justice to the Steak and Kidney Pudding there.

If you follow the thread in chatter, there's set to be a bit of cider drinking in the Oak on Weds. All welcome. ?See you there?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 8 March 2004 12.10pm
Ivanhoe. If you pay over a fiver a day for your tube journey, sit on the Jubilee line until CW - it won't (I presume) cost you anything.

Wander up to Waitrose (up the escalators, turn right). Sit in the winebar for a glass of wine, then move on to the Oyster bar for a couple of glasses of fizz and a dozen oysters. Still peckish? Perhaps some sushi. And then a coffee in the care before going home.

Oh yes, and you might fancy some meat from the excellent butchers, some fish from the excellent fish counter & some ripe and ready to eat outrageously expensive fruit.

Bliss.

Joy

Happiness

And the staff are unafilingly nice & polite too.
Monday 8 March 2004 12.18pm
exactly sputnik. I've often thought that about the E&C tesco. I seem to vaguely recall from going to Tesco in richer areas that they have some kind of policy where you're never supposed to have more than x people in the queue where x is some number < 38.
they don't seem to bother with that policy at E&C tesco. I had a bit of strop in there one day after the 3rd time in a row of queuing up the aisles, which I ended up chatting to the security guard about -- we ended up having a laugh about it eventually as he said it was never any different.
They also stock a different range of stuff from posher areas (try finding tesco value in CW, and try finding finest in EC!) which can be handy if you need a cheap bottle of wine, but not very good if you are trying to cook dinner for mates and want more than value spaghetti hoops!
Monday 8 March 2004 12.19pm
blimey mapmaker!!

Sounds wonderful. If only they had a capsule hotel, I think I might move in!!

I'll have to leave the Ivanhoe charger (aka a scooter) at home one day and check it out.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 8 March 2004 4.01pm
I've found that the queues in Elephant Tesco are non-existant in the last half hour before closing time, but that's probably the only time!

Quite a joke that they have (or had) huge signs hanging up about their one in front policy, which is clearly never observed in that place. It doesn't help that the staff are unmotivated and therefore rude, ignorant and slow. In fact even management there are terrible: I had quite a long argument with one of them about being overcharged 30p where a special offer sign was misleading, and eventually he gave in but I left with a bitter taste.

And then of course Boots which doesn't seem brilliantly stocked, but OK. We do have to laugh at the absolutely massive "Tampons" sign right by the window though...

I think the only shop in that place that's part of a chain and properly stocked to the chain's usual standards is WHSmith, and looks recently refurbished.

Has anyone had the misfortune to notice that in the back corner of most of those shops, by the fire exit doors, a delightful smell of urine? Not what you want to be smelling in a food shop.
Monday 8 March 2004 4.08pm
WHSmith at the Elephant is a shadow of its former self though - it used to be far better when they had the upstairs too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 8 March 2004 5.51pm
James,

do you happen to know when the shopping centre (in its current incarnation) will get knocked down?

I have to say, though, the ticket machines in EC tube, which always break down, would be fixed and working if we were a rich area. It's a truism that poor people don't complain. I am sure Transport for London would not dare leave a broken ticket machine in Hampstead tube for fear of it getting media coverage.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions