London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 16
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.23pm
ooooooooooooooh mapmaker,

you KNEW that would cause a stir, didn't you, you minx.

"Get yourself a car...." to bring the shopping home.... only a couple of hundred quid to run an old banger.....

Enviromentally unsound, as well as plain wrong (unless you have a much cheaper garage and insurance co than I do, in which case please do us all a favour and put the details up here).

[it's Occado, I think. definitely an "a", not sure how many "c"s] [?whats "TFIC" please?] [take the tube, then go to the bar after shopping, celebrate with a few glasses, then taxi home. must be cheaper than tax, insurance, MOT, servicing, C-Charge - even with exemption - petrol, etc]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Sue
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.47pm
Tnx Ivanhoe, how true. Gave up running a car in SE1 many years ago, now too immobile to get in or out of one, let alone drive it anywhere through London traffic and fill with shopping, not to mention the difficulty of parking anywhere near my house and emptying it all out . Am v. keen on internet shopping and have better things to do than hang around supermarkets all day.
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.48pm
Surely we all know how to spell it by now, thanks to one of the most irritating radio jingles of recent years? O..C...A...D..O Ocado dot com!
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.58pm
This is their flimsy excuse for adding the extra charge:

Central London Charge

Unfortunately high volumes of Traffic, frequent parking difficulties and access through the congestion charging zone has meant that we have been forced to add a 5 central London charge to deliveries made in your area.

(And I don't even live in the CCZ.)

However, they don't make this clear until you have selected all your shopping and proceeded to the checkout, which is a bit cheeky. Especially as to register, you have to put in your postcode, so they could alert you then.
Thursday 11 March 2004 6.01pm
[They don't do the jingle on radio 4 Tom]

Sue,

If you don't mind having unposh groceries, I (don't work for them or anything, but) have had great service from Sainsburys internet shopping.

We lived in wimbledon for a couple of years and Sainsburys internet shopping was good there, but if anything SE1 seems even better. We can generally get delivery slots within the next day or two (unlike the abysmal Tescos internet shopping - which nothing could ever induce me to try again), they do a good job of finding our flat (which is new-ish and so, like a lot of places around here, isn't on everyone's map), and the delivery drivers we have had in SE1 have been really good with carrying everything up the stairs and being very cheerful and polite and all-round good human beings.

Never mind the 5 (which I'm happy to pay to not have to set foot in a supermarket once a week, and which I'd probably spend on impulse purchases if I did go into a store), I generally want to give them a tip (and I'm not known for my unusual generosity).

Good luck with getting something sorted out.

Thursday 11 March 2004 6.19pm
just to state the obvious, getting supermarket shopping home by cycling with strap-on rear panniers is cheap, easy, and pollution-free. I have done it for years...
Thursday 11 March 2004 8.15pm
For those who don't mind a bit of a sjlep: take the boat to Waitrose in Canary Wharf from London Bridge. Buy the real good food there and order the washing powder and all that on tesco.com or sainsbury.com..
Sue
Thursday 11 March 2004 11.07pm
Tnx Ivanhoe, might try Sainsbury's some time, though I was told they did not deliver here which is why I am doing Tesco's ( which i must say I always thought of as less posh than Sainsbury's). I agree that Tesco home shopping was useless when i did it a year or two ago, but this time around have found it much better. I always refuse to have items substituted, and in the old days they used to leave lots of items out because they were out of stock and I used to receive bits of other peoples' shopping, but I have found it much improved recently. For example I was ordering shopping at 5pm one day and had it delivered by 12 the next day, whereas it used to take days because there were far fewer delivery slots.
Thursday 11 March 2004 11.26pm
I've found that since Tesco changed their substitution system, they're just fine. Better than traipsing around the shop, anyway.
Friday 12 March 2004 10.23am
Perhaps I've just had untypically bad experiences with Tescos then.

We ordered from them twice, and each time it took three days (and I mean three extra days when they tried but failed) to redeliver the shopping. On each of those days one of us had to wait in for the shopping, thus wasting more time and leaving me more frustrated than if I'd have had to crawl to OKR on my knees, give all my cash to the beggars in the car park, wait years while the checkout person had a chat with her mates before thinking about serving me, and crawl back, carrying my shopping one item at a time.

But, as I say, based on the posts above then maybe they were saving all the really appaling service for just one person and I got lucky.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions