London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 16
Friday 12 March 2004 11.57am
I love the idea of going shopping by boat! I'm willing to give it a go, it's got to be better than shopping in the Tesco at OK Road, even though it's only a couple of hundred metres from me.
Sue
Friday 12 March 2004 12.40pm
Is the boat reliable? how long does it take? How much is it? How often does it go?
Friday 12 March 2004 12.50pm
Visit the Thames Clippers website for times and fares[/url]

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 12 March 2004 1.06pm
I took my mum from Amsterdam on the boat (hard to impress a dutch woman with boats and water) and she was delighted. Then Waitrose which was another hit. Great day, lovely trip, great groceries.
Sue
Friday 12 March 2004 1.12pm
thanks James. I looked at the site and rang them about the 'request stop' which is what London Bridge is outside rush hours. I was told that you make yourself known to the piermaster who flags the boat down for you at that stop! I am now very keen to do this.
Friday 12 March 2004 1.16pm
Perhaps there should also be a floating market, moving around during the week from Lambeth Bridge to St Saviour's dock in Venetian style.

Post edited (12 Mar 04 13:19)
Monday 15 March 2004 12.12pm
Been in the Elephant shopping centre and Tesco's today for the first time....I have never seen anything like it....sad and depressing.
Monday 15 March 2004 1.28pm
And you can't even send money to Nigeria!

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
hat
Monday 15 March 2004 3.36pm
Does the SE1 Sainsbury's to You work better than the one in SW2 (my old manor) where it was incompetent beyond belief? Numerous lemons for limes and vice versa substitutions were a bit annoying, but when I ordered many bottles of sparkling wine and nibbly bits for a christmas party they delivered 2 bottles of chardonnay, a sunny delight and a bag of frozen prawns instead...!

Now I would willing pay an extra fiver to know I'm getting what I ordered, and not whatever item with pretty colours attracted the bored sainsbury's packing person. Also - when Ocado do something wrong they give you 25 in vouchers to apologise...but I agree with the other posters - CW Waitrose is really the best of all, and a "black bus" from CW to tower bridge rd is only about a tenner - which is what you'd pay for central london delivery.
Hurrah
Monday 15 March 2004 6.15pm
I have been happy with Sainsbury's To You in SE1. They have kept their times, or when late i have received a phone call. Have had a bit trouble explaining the entrance to my block, but that is confusing for all deliveries. Funny fact, by the way... I normally got to Sainsbury's Local in Waterloo Road, and am generally quite happy with it. But the other day visited the Borough High Street branch, and what difference! That branch is almost as bad as the Elephant Tesco, or were they just having a bad day...?
Current: 7 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions