London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 16
Monday 15 March 2004 9.16pm
I wouldn't pay an extra fiver to be sure i'm getting what I ordered, Hat. I'd expect what I ordered, and if that didnt arrive, I'd send it back. Don't forget that supermarkets get so much profit anyway.

Stock availability in Elephant Tesco have improved in recent months, and they seem to be making an effort is opening tills in busy periods. Still terrible though.

Incidentally, Neal's Yard dairy just next to Borough Market has some delicious cheeses. Beats tesco prepacked cheddar any day!
Thursday 18 March 2004 3.48pm

Outside SE1, and in the opposite direction to Canary Wharf is the Sainsburys Market in Victoria on the old bus station - fantastic, with little Butchers "stall", fishmongers, cheese stand, deli, etc. Free parking underneath if you spend enough - paper bags instead of plastic if you want - never queue at the checkout.

It is the same format as the old Bluebird store on the Kings Road...

Regards,

Loafer (first post)
hat
Thursday 18 March 2004 4.41pm
Simon,

I agree entirely - but when I remonstrated - over many days - with Sainsbury's to you, they said (I am not quoting but giving you the essence of their reply):

We never promised that we can supply everything you order. If we haven't got what you order we will attempt to substitute it appropriately. If we can't do that we won't put anything else in. If you don't like the substitutions, send them back. We will refund items, if you are not made aware that they are substitutions, if you bring them in to the store within 7 days. If all this inconveniences you, too bad.

To me, that makes it an entirely useless service. As a non car owner, I am willing to pay a fiver (less than the cost of a taxi back with lots of heavy shopping bags ) to get what I ordered, at the time I ordered it. If, as before Christmas, I then have to go out, and do my shopping (which as far as I was concerned, I 'd already done, with Sainsbury's) again, and get a cab home - all at the last minute, then for me the whole thing is a waste of time and money. Anyway - rant over - if it works here in SE1, fantastic, just I wouldn't trust them again after the nightmare I had, and that's why I'm happy to pay 5 pounds for a service that actually brings the shopping you're expecting...
Hat
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.07pm
Borough Market on a Saturday or Friday (get there about 10am on Sat to avoid the crush) - you can get meat that actually tastes like it used to (and you can even freeze it and it tastes better than the tat from any Supermarket who has imported their meat from the other side of the world). There is no official organic meat but its all free range you can see where it is from and they don't stick their animals full of steroids or battery farm them. I highly reccommend Northfield farm and the chicken stall round the back next to the cake and flower stalls.

The cheese is divine, oil out of this world and veg is pretty cool as well.. brussels on a stem, carrots with their tops on tomatoes on the vine - and all for about the same if not cheaper than the supermarkets.

Added to that you can have breakfast and feshly squeezed juices there too.

Support your local shops and markets. Surely the supermarkets have been providing us with substandard over expensive food for far too long now. We just don't realise it as its easy and all under one roof.

Rant over.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.15pm
and don't forget the cider at Borough Market. There's nothing like that in supermarkets......even in Canary Wharf.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.11pm

Alison

When I first started going to Borough Market it was as you say, but now it has become a tourist destination the prices have gone through the roof.

I nearly had a coronary when the Ginger Pig sold me a turkey last Christmas, whilst if you choose the wrong fruit & veg stall it can really hurt your pocket - the one with the Opera singer is very overpriced compared to some of the ones outside the core area.

I suppose my conclusion is that whilst I used to do 60% of my weekly shop there, now it is 20% maximum...and it is down to the traders capitalising on the success and increasing the prices out of the reach of non-tourists.

Regards,

Loafer
Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.31pm
When I first heard the idea of a farmers market, I thought - fantastic! Cut out the middle man, buy at source and the producer gets more profit, and more and more and more.............
Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.42pm
yes, but to be fair, they've got to bring that "local" produce from the farthest corners of the UK (and Europe). It's not as if they're just coming from your nearest tescos.

;0)

Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.49pm

It was worth their while doing at the lower prices at the start, ergo, the rest is extra profit.

I'm not knocking it - it is pure capitalism, but I think they should shut up about locals supporting locals and the altruistic theory!
Tuesday 23 March 2004 5.05pm
loafer, I do agree with you. Shopping for things in the market should be cheaper (as well as fresher and offering more choice).

The only problem is that in today's situation where most city dwellers (self included) have no idea how much things should cost. This means that the stalls on B Market can charge what they like and still be cheaper than anything vaguely comparable (apart from something like a proper butcher's/fruit and veg stall in a rural town).

At present, the only competition or price benchmark is something like the laughable Sainsbury's "market" concept that was discussed above. I guess it won't be hard to come in with a price a little lower than them.

What's the answer??? Boycott Borough and head to East St??

Current: 8 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions