London SE1 community website

Elephant Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 16
Tuesday 23 March 2004 5.11pm

As I said above, I like the Sainsburys Market concept as it is a nice place to shop and costs the same as the zoo at Nine Elms. Other than that it is still a supermarket with all that entails...

I suppose the answer is expand Borough Market to get more competition into it...

Loafer
Tuesday 23 March 2004 5.48pm
The farmers charge whatever they think people will pay. A bit like the supermarkets really.

Ignorance is bliss
hat
Tuesday 23 March 2004 6.22pm

The farmers market in Peckham is cheaper than Borough (unsurprisingly) but still has nice stuff, if less speciality stalls. Well worth a visit on a sunday morning - but you have to get there before about 11.30 or half the stalls are bare due to hungry peckhamites...
Tuesday 23 March 2004 10.07pm
I think the answer is to be selective about which stalls you shop at. Some items are expensive and justifiably so - others are just expensive. Yet others are not expensive. So dont buy your veg from Turnips, buy from one of the other just-as-good stalls with more reasonable prices - there are several. You can find stuff cheaper than supermarkets. You can find stuff a little more expensive but fantastic quality and well worth the price. And if you find stuff thats just taking the p*ss with its prices - well dont buy it.

The main thing for me thats missing at a reasonable price is good ordinary bread - sorry, just not prepared to pay 3 a loaf. But not pepared to eat grot either - so bought a breadmaker for the price of 3 Borough Market loaves and make my own now.
Sue
Tuesday 23 March 2004 10.19pm
The Turkish place not in SE1 down the Walworth road near Iceland makes great fresh bread , but I also had a breadmaker which made a pretty good loaf, plus the bonus of the smell of fresh baking, worth a lot I should say.
Wednesday 24 March 2004 10.06am
I saw a quite shocking report on TV recently, that listed the health problems suffered by the residents of one particular area of Scotland. They ate a really poor diet with little fresh stuff - they said they would like to eat well, but couldn't afford it.
Wednesday 24 March 2004 10.40am
If you're happy to spend time getting and preparing food, it is possible to eat healthily and cheaply.

Local markets are usually among the cheapest places to get fresh veg - with the exception of Borough which is fast becoming the Harvey Nichols of markets.

But assuming you don't have much time (for example if you have a big family and you shop in supermarkets) it does tend to be cheaper to buy unhealthy food. Iceland regularly TV-advertises deals whereby for 5 you can buy enough cakes and chicken nuggets to feed several military units. Compare this to the cost of a few bell peppers in the organic section.

I'd like this situation to be reversed but it's tricky figuring out how to legislate for such change (any ideas, legal bods?) Ideally food manufacturers should be encouraged to make their products more healthy and organic foods should get some sort of tax break so that they're no longer seen as a premium product.

Wednesday 24 March 2004 11.00am
It always amazes me when I hear people say that they don't have time to cook fresh food. A friend told me a story of how, on an all-inclusive holiday, a family of fellow guests took exception to the food that was on offer, this being something that they had already paid for and, I'm assured, offered lots of variety. It wasn't good enough for them, so they took themselves off to Burger King three times a day. We also had a recent thread regarding those Iceland chickens, it was around the same time as that Asian bird flu outbreak, which served well to remind us how cheap "convenience" food gets on our plates.

Post edited (24 Mar 04 11:10)
Monday 29 March 2004 12.06pm
You're famous! (Well, slightly). Extracts from this thread have appeared in the Paperclips (press cuttings) section of the Gazette, the weekly internal magazine of the John Lewis Partnership, with a large feature quote too.
Monday 29 March 2004 1.03pm
Dear Waitrose HQ lurkers

These moaning loft-dwelling SE1 residents do not deserve one of your stores - keep them lugging their groceries along the Jubilee line from Canary Wharf and/or forcing them into the Elephant Tesco "the horror, the horrror...."

Please open somewhere south of the river where the middle-classes' property prices are more in need of reinforcement should interest rates increase.

- Peckham/New Cross
- Brixton Hill/Streatham
- Lewisham/Deptford

Yours etc

Lang Rabbie

TFIC
Current: 9 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions