London SE1 community website

Recommendation for carpenter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 13 June 2011 5.05pm
I can recommend Yabo Shahar from Custom Carpentry. He built a huge bespoke bookcase for us and did a great job. His prices are competitive and he was 100% reliable.He was very flexible on design options and created a number of different professionally-drawn designs so we could get a very clear idea of what we were getting. In addition, he was very neat and and cleaned up entirely afterwards. His details are:
Yabo Shahar Creative Director
The Eco Fitted Furniture Experts
Contemporary Bespoke Furniture
www.CustomCarpentry.co.uk
[email protected]
07748 321 791
Tuesday 20 September 2011 7.38pm
Perronetonian

Thanks so much for recommending Francis. He's just been and hung a door for me, lovely chap - total perfectionist as you said. It was a really fiddly job as well, not easy.

He's at http://www.francisdarbishire.co.uk and comes highly recommended. I'll definitely try and put some more work his way.

Thanks

Mike
Monday 31 October 2011 5.03pm
I used Iain a while ago because he was recommended on this site, and because his price was so competitive. He built wardrobes for us, bookcases and a computer housing.

As people have said, he was pleasant to have around and trustworthy, but he got into a real tangle with the first wardrobe. Another wardrobe and the computer housing were fine, but eventually I demolished the bookcases because the shelves sloped so much.

My impression was that he could do the work, but he was in too much of a rush and made mistakes.

I hesitated to post this message but I read about Iain here so I thought it was right to do so.
Saturday 12 November 2011 10.47pm
Someone suggested I should probably go into more detail about Iain Parkerís work for us.

He made a mistake with the first set of shelves and cut them short of the wall Ė but he was happy to put in a side piece of wood. The drawers in the first wardrobe couldnít open because they hit the doors so he re-made the drawers.

After heíd left, I had to shape fillets of wood to close a sloping gap between the frames and the doors at the top. I bought more catches and planed the doors to get them to close properly. The wardrobe isn't quite deep enough for clothes, so I had to buy special narrow hangers, but even now the occasional garment catches in a door.

The second, sliding door, wardrobe is fine, and so is the computer housing.

All the bookcases sloped and buckled. They were made of 18mm MDF with dowel pegs and screws, and supporting struts of MDF. For the two biggest bookshelves, I bought 40mm stripwood for the front of the shelves to try to disguise the slope Ė some of them were out by 22mm on a 2 metre run. It's nothing to do with the weight of the books Ė this was before we put them on the shelves. I think the MDF flexed out of shape when it was fitted.

It sounds as if Iain has done good work for other people Ė but it didnít work out for us, Iím afraid.
Saturday 12 November 2011 11.50pm
We've had Iain up in the last fortnight to hang four doors and box in an electric meter and he did this with skill and precision, as he did on the previous occasion (my original recommendation). He is coming back to fit a wooden floor. It's not for me to 'fight his corner' but Iain is a good guy and I am sure he would be keen to discuss.
Saturday 12 November 2011 11.57pm
I can REALLY recommend John Grace, 07783-605845, a charming fellow and an excellent craftsman.
Sunday 13 November 2011 8.48pm
Yes, I agree with Gavin - I think Iain's heart in the right place, he worked very hard and he is a good guy - but it just didn't work out for us. I'm glad it has for others.
Sunday 13 November 2011 10.11pm
I've used John Grace before on your recommendation Jackie before - he did lovely work.
I can happily recommend either John Grace or Francis Darbishire - thanks for the recommendations.
Monday 14 November 2011 9.34am
I have to say that I concur with MichaelM here. We got in touch with Iain after seeing him recommended on this site and got him to build a big fitted wardrobe and shelving unit for us, spanning a whole wall. It cost a LOT of money and to be honest, the job was pretty rushed and the standard of finish was poor. He originally estimated 5 days but completed in 3, which is great if it's done right but it wasn't. One of the drawers jammed within the first week after it was finished, and there are small niggly things like the doors that don't align properly. To his defence, Iain came to fix the drawer within a day of being notified.

Thought Iain was a very nice guy, and obviously he has done good work, but it didn't really seem to work out for us either
Tuesday 15 November 2011 8.41am
Yes, that was exactly how it was for us, Lucy Ė it felt all very rushed and unfinished. Iím still struggling to reconcile the standard of his workmanship in our place with the previous recommendations on this website, Iainís own very willing demeanour, and the photographs of his previous work posted on his website.

To be honest, I thought his work was a bit of a bodge. Iím still pretty upset about it and it cost us a lot of money too. (I forgot to add that a radiator cover he built as part of one of the bookcases started to collapse and I had to screw a batten into the wall to prop it up!)

Iím afraid I canít recommend Iain Parker to anyone on the basis of his work for us. Iím happy to accept that people have had different experiences and I am pleased for them, but I decided I should detail what happened to us so that people who are looking for a carpenter can make up their own minds.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions