London SE1 community website

Recommendation for carpenter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 15 November 2011 1.55pm
Hi MichaelM - my partner is spitting blood about it. I wished I had posted my experience here and that might have saved you the cost. I just thought it was a one-off
Tuesday 15 November 2011 2.52pm
Hi Lucy
That's very kind of you but our work may have been done before yours, so I suspect I should have saved you from using Iain Parker. I hesitated for months before posting anything here and it was only when I ripped out the bookcases and replaced them that I felt liberated enough to question his work in public. I went through a long period of thinking maybe it was just me, and that I was expecting too high a standard, so it's a small comfort to know that it wasn't. It's such a curious thing - Iain seemed a good guy, and his worked was praised on this site by two people, but quite apart from the mistakes he made, he seemed to pay no attention to the finish. I feel so much better now I'm getting rid of his work, I just try not to think about the money...
Tuesday 29 November 2011 10.30am
I would ignore MichaelM. Iain is a real craftsman and does not 'bodge' things. His aftercare is great too. I don't know why MichaelM didn't call him and work through the problems. Bit unfair I think.
I am happy to recommend him. 07990594995.
He built me a shelf in my kitchen for all my cookery books, with funky shaped brackets cut freehand. He built me a small walnut bedside table which could have come out of John Lewis and then a bespoke baby changing unit for my sister-in-law, which she absolutely loves (it's the perfect height for her).
Wednesday 30 November 2011 6.22pm
Well, people can certainly choose to ignore my comments about Iain Parker's poor work, and indeed those of Lucy Salisbury who posted after me, but at least they know that not everyone is happy with the quality of his work. I wanted to detail my experience precisely because it was so much at variance with those who had recommended him on this site. Because of those recommendations, I was confident enough to employ him - but it was, I'm afraid, a mistake.

It is interesting that our work was on a much bigger scale than yours, LDNGal, as was Lucy Salisbury's according to her posting. That may be a factor - big wardrobes and big shelving units, a rush job and a poor finish. Perhaps Iain is better at small scale work.

As I said, I just wanted to alert people to what happened so they can make up their own minds. But for us, I'm afraid it really it was very bad.
Wednesday 30 November 2011 6.30pm
By the way, LDNGal, what makes you think I didn't talk through the problems with Iain Parker? I think what was "unfair" as you put it was getting the standard of work we got!!
Friday 2 December 2011 12.21pm
Hi LDNGal, have to say I with MichaelM had to say. Perhaps Iain is a great craftsman but even the best need to take time in their work. I paid two thousand pounds for an MDF wardrobe/shelving unit and it's money I sorely regret. The drawers jam constantly and the doors don't align. Plus little things like gaps everywhere. I know we won't be happy until we rip the thing out but that's a painful write off to take.

I wonder if perhaps Iain is a victim of his own success; when he built the unit he was working on a number of jobs at the time, mainly from recommendations on this site. I think the quality of his work suffered from being so busy: he clearly can do a good job otherwise he wouldn't have got so many recommendations. Unfortunately for me and MichaelM he put in pretty poor work.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions