London SE1 community website

El Vergel at Webber Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 8 April 2010 1.09pm
There is a worthy / interesting-looking charity fundraiser here tomorrow night:

http://www.wegottickets.com/event/77428
Saturday 20 February 2016 10.15pm
El Vergel is downsizing and splitting its premises in two, citing a 'downturn in demand'

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9564956

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 22 February 2016 10.31am
if they opened in the evening, they would get a lot more customers, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.
Monday 22 February 2016 11.12am
If they opened at regular hours on weekends, and if they gave anything like service to their customers, they might do better business.

You only have to go somewhere once or twice and get bad service to not bother going there again. When they opened, they were really busy. Now, they are hardly ever busy.

This Saturday morning - queues out of the door at Terry's Café. People waiting outside for a table. Walk past El Vergel....hard to tell whether they were open or not.

There's no shortage of potential customers.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 22 February 2016 12.33pm
The food is good. The location is great.
They are just too unreliable in terms of opening times. I've been there a couple of times at weekends and found them closed. Not to mention bank holidays when they close for 3 / 4 days in a row!

In spite of that when they are open they are often full.

They need a new management badly.
Tuesday 23 February 2016 12.19am
Would also help if they posted a menu in the window...
Tuesday 23 February 2016 10.33am
williamn wrote:
Would also help if they posted a menu in the window...

It would help with passing trade but they have had the exact same menu for at least the past 3 years (including the same "Daily Special", day after day...). We like the food but are just bored by it so have to be in the mood. When we do give it a go it is either randomly closed or we get the same lacklustre service, the same decent meal that we got last time, and the same experience all round. It is stuck in a rut which is a shame as the 1st time you go in it seems like such a vibrant place and you imagine its a hiddem gem with seasonal menu and fast, zippy service. But it's like Groundhog Day in there and the only thing that ever seems to change is their opening hours.
Tuesday 23 February 2016 10.49am
My partner is crazy about their cheesecake though...sometimes he gets a craving for it but it's never at a time when they're open....
Tuesday 23 February 2016 11.50am
I rem when El Vergel was on Lant Street in much much smaller premises and everyone used to cram in to their long trestle tables and few barstools, it was a great heady atmosphere with queues out the door. A couple of their Churassco Quesos, some tacos and a cheescake and we rolled out the door.

To me their food is unique and not to be found elsewhere but agree that the menu has not changed for over a decade and maybe some diversification and longer opening hours are required.

I wonder if Stella ( owner ) is reading this what her opinions are...
Tuesday 23 February 2016 11.53am
DavidS wrote:
..... fast, zippy service.....

Most definitely NOT my experience. Quite the opposite.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions