London SE1 community website

Circus tent on Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 January 2010 1.47pm
Hi there - does anyone have any info on the circus tent & clown wall paintings on the plot of land that cornered Skin Market Place and Bankside (just past Cardinal Cap Alley) circa 1979/80 - I vividly remember walking by it but cannot find mention of it on the web - many thanks and happy 2010 - kj
Tuesday 5 January 2010 2.22pm
Hi - as this is now the site of Shakspeares Globe and by that time frame i would suspect it was the temp theatre erected for the first season to experiment with stage arrangement, lines of site etc it was very temp with a tent like concoction !
Tuesday 5 January 2010 2.30pm
I miss read 79/80 for later in the decade but there are photographs in their exhibition showing the site as a big hole in the gound with a "tent" like arrangement from that time. I also seem to remember stories of it flooding and "groundlings" being ankle deep in water under the tent !!!
Wednesday 6 January 2010 9.57am
I actually went when it was a tent like structure, Terry Scott and Victor Spinetti were there, dont know if Victor was producing/directing..must have been very early 70's
Wednesday 6 January 2010 1.32pm
thanks everyone, it was an oval structure with alternating panels of orangey/red & yellow which looked like some kind of plastic/fibreglass rather than traditional tent canvas - the pre-current Globe certainly makes sense - any photos anyone - sincere thanks - kj
Wednesday 6 January 2010 2.57pm
That fits in Beetroot,years fly by so flipping quickly! I think they even had a bar of sorts in it?

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions