London SE1 community website

Looking for art space in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 3.05pm
Why is it bad using the word Agent?

Don't know what Friday Jones means...it'was the other Harriet
Monday 8 March 2004 3.20pm
I don't mean to sound rude, but knowing that difference is kind of square one...or perhaps you are an illustration agent by trade!
Monday 8 March 2004 3.21pm
Sputnik - have no artistic or agent like bones in my body, but do love my books (hence Friday Jones = inspirational secret agent heroine a la Robert Heinlein).

Harriet (of the Japanese DVDs and ice cream)

Edited to correct spelling

Post edited (08 Mar 04 16:47)
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 3.29pm
My theory on it is - if you're setting up someone's else's affairs then I'd call them an agent/manager...correct?
Monday 8 March 2004 4.10pm
I'd agree with you H2.

Reading between the lines from sputnik's posts though, I can only guess that the world of art is so up it's own a*** that to call someone who acts on behalf of another (i.e. an agent, by any accepted use of english) "an agent" is desparately uncool and shows your greenness.

(Also from reading between lines of above posts), I gather that sputnik's corner of the art galaxy uses the (infinitely more sensible, I'm sure) term "gallerist" in order to make sure that people know both (1) that it perhaps has something to do with things that occur in galleries (or perhaps on galleries), and (2) that people using this term are probably so full of the sense of their own importance that your day will be improved by avoiding them.

[only half-joking sputnik, so please don't take offence, but IMO it's this sort of branding and petty distinction that makes it easy for people to take the piss out of the art world today]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 4.42pm
Thanks for agreeing...

To be honest, I know the art world is a brutal existance but I'm really not bothered whether I'm cool or uncool as long as I find a frigging gallery to exhibit Tom's work so people will buy it - that's the object the game isn't it?
Monday 8 March 2004 4.47pm
well, perhaps, Ivanhoe, but at the same time I am an art professional by trade. If someone from, or claiming to be from your own professional area started using self-descriptions that were frankly going to get them nowhere and get their clients a bad rep, then you might poke it about in a jokey way, no?

So..a gallerist is a very different beast from an agent. It's the difference between fine art and commercial art. Commercial art is mostly illustration - images commissioned for use, eg for magazines, brochures etc.

And by the way I am not being a snob here, I used to work as an illustrator.
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 4.50pm
At the end of the day, I'm trying to do a job whether it be professional or as you would call it not professional I'm just looking for some space - so give me a break!
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 4.55pm
I will however, take your advice thank you very much.
Monday 8 March 2004 5.01pm
...whilst we're at this English language assassination, are we to presume that the moniker 'Ivanhoe Returns' (albeit a fictional reference) should have us believe this is a better time than when you you had gone away?

That would be up your own a***...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions