London SE1 community website

Looking for art space in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 5.05pm
Am not sure what you're saying James....expand please
Monday 8 March 2004 5.07pm
sputnik,

i was only joking too, and i did point it out. your point is quite right about being protective about one's own profession, and I would agree with you, from my own professional POV.

hope I haven't ruffled any feathers, but i couldn't resist taking the piss out of the term "gallerist" (an obviously daft word to the man in the street) vs "agent" (far too clear to be used in the art world, I know, but makes a lot of sense to the rest of us simpletons and philistines). no offence meant to yourself, though.

[come to the Oak on Weds and I'll buy you a stowford press]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 5.09pm
Yeah, gallerist, who would use the world gallerist.

Oh hello, I'm a gallerist how do you do...now, that's very uncool!

Where's the oak?
Monday 8 March 2004 5.14pm
I know the points were made only in jest, but subsequently, the good meaning of Hat's post has been obliterated throughout the course of these threads because of wordism.

Shame that's it's been spoilt to the degree she's relaunched it and had to mind her wording this time. If my first post had've been ripped apart like that I would have been a little hacked off...

(Added 17.25) And now James Hatts has closed that other thread too. That's goota be annoying for Hat...

Post edited (08 Mar 04 17:22)
Hat
Monday 8 March 2004 5.22pm
Thanks James!

I'm am a little new at this job I've taken on and yes, we all do fuc* up occasionally - I really don't think that it was a huge fuc* up and I get ripped apart...oh well, one does have to have a sense of humour!
Monday 8 March 2004 5.25pm
Well just to add more grist to the mill, the other, as yet unmentioned term for 'a person who sells art' is 'dealer', just to add to the pile of negative associations heaping up around here.

art, drugs, it's a dirrrrtty businesss....

but cider, Ivan you'll have to persuade me on that one. How is cider better than a nice pint of lager?
Monday 8 March 2004 5.28pm
I tell you what Hat - I happen to have a whole heap of Bankside literature in my desk here at work. Tomorrow I'll go through it and let you know of any art display spaces.

I trust I can e-mail you on your tfl e-mail address?
Monday 8 March 2004 5.34pm
Our art galleries section links to all the galleries in SE1 with their own websites.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/galleries/

I guess places worth looking at might include the Menier Gallery, the.[email protected], Waterloo Gallery and the Jerwood Space.

Depends on the sort of scale of exhibition you are looking for/what budget you have, I guess?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 8 March 2004 5.35pm
Might also be worth perusing the exhibitions listings in in SE1, our monthly printed what's on guide - see page 5.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 8 March 2004 5.40pm
Just to add to the above from James H, those galleries are good suggestions for this kind of work, although Jerwood have gone pretty quiet - mainly just do the odd curated/art prize show. I doubt you will have much luck with them, although they are a great space with a good cafe and garden space.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions