London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa Regeneration - Next Phase

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 21 January 2010 7.56pm
Has anyone had a look around the flats yet? I cant go until Tuesday.
Friday 22 January 2010 10.09am
Gavin

Thank you for your comments, it is kind of you to make them. I believe most politicians make policies and take decisions for the benefit of the citizens they represent. Ken's motives for the Venezuelan connection may have been done with the best intentions, but as you and I know the best intentions is not always the best decision. I believe he did a better job running the GLC.

It is clear that many of the decisions and policies made by Ken Livingstone have left London with significant debts and with little to show for them. I believe, therefore, that Boris has to develop London and its infrastructure to where it should be, but some things such as fares must rise. No one can believe he wants to raise the fares.

As for me, I got involved in politics in April 2009 when I began having a go at the council and local councillor, for letting The Blue shopping area fall into a coma; my political views had nothing to do with it. However, I was asked by the conservative MP candidate for Bermondsey & Old Southwark if I would consider running for councillor and as of autumn 2009 my desire to make a difference has taken a political side.

Take care

Gary
Friday 22 January 2010 12.23pm
good for you, Gary. It's nice that you care enough to want to make a difference. I look forward to hearing more!

Best wishes

Gavin
Friday 22 January 2010 12.55pm
JuliaBaker wrote:
Has anyone had a look around the flats yet? I cant go until Tuesday.

The flats are really nice, they are spacious and IMO they aren't as packed in as people are making out. There is a nice courtyard in the middle too
Sunday 24 January 2010 1.42am
Possel wrote:
carmenes82 wrote:
Not sure I share Davies view on the redevelopment of the area, which has been well executed IMHO....

I think Davies is right - the blocks that face onto Spa Road opposite the old Sorting Office were done exactly as he says - they built up to/over the pavement and then had the nerve to apply for permission to fell the trees there as they were too close to the building! I cannot understand why the council gave them permission.

The bit about the trees in the original planning document has headed something like "Preservation and retention of existing trees". The council missed the fact that to build the flats where they were planned, Ada Salters trees would have to go. The the developers applied for subsequent permission to fell the the trees on the grounds that the whole project would be held up and it would cost millions and the Council caved, I was told, because they were afraid of getting sued for holding up the development if they didn't.

Kind of makes you wonder what the point of them is if they are too scared to do their jobs.
Monday 25 January 2010 9.28am
The issue for the council is that, because they didn't do their job properly in the first place by checking every detail of the planning proposal, and they may not have physically visited the site either, they were faced with problems based on their own ineptitude.

The developers may have known what they were doing by not mentioning the trees in their initial planning application (if indeed this is the case), but I can't blame them for that, because that is what their job is. But the reason we have planning committees is to ensure no 'clever' positioning is taking place by the people/companies who make the planning applications, and all eventualities are taken into consideration.

Does anyone know if the council sold the freehold or just a long lease? If they sold the freehold then they are selling land which I believe belongs to the residents and not to the borough.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Monday 25 January 2010 11.35pm
I'm sure the developers knew what they were doing. I got the impression when I investigated that anyone on the Council who tried to do his job became suddenly unemployed.

If you want to know the freehold/leasehold status why not go down the planning office or pay money to the Land Registry like the rest of us.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 2.19am
Once known for industries such as calico works, tanneries, paper and cotton mills, brewing and rope makers, Bermondsey is now synonymous with innovation and creative renewal. From design studios and fashion houses to galleries, restaurants and bars, Bermondsey buzzes with creativity.

I just read that on the Bermondsey Spa website 'Lifestyle' page. I wonder if people really do buy flats on the basis of these kind of ridiculous blurbs?

Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Tuesday 26 January 2010 12.09pm
It's called marketing!

I think the history of Bermondsey and the mix of different people in the area make it interesting, but I think people will choose a property based on location and price. The other bits are just nice to have.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 2.37pm
I have just been to look at a flat here now and I have to say inside they are really really nice. The 2 beds are both doubles of equal size. There are windows bang on the pavement though. For 275,000 right near bermondsey tube at shared ownership I think they are really reasonable. But yes many of the points raised above are true.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions