London SE1 community website

Tesco TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Thursday 11 February 2010 11.59pm
Big fat groan from me.

TBR does not need yet another food store, least of all Tesco. I'm not mad about the Costcutter next door but it has been useful, and I certainly dislike it less than any given GroTesco, whose Express stores are depressingly ubiquitous and utilitarian.

Aargh. I hate them! I can't pretend otherwise. Why do we have a system that allows them to be so effing rapacious?!
Friday 12 February 2010 12.35am
Bel Ludovic wrote:
Big fat groan from me.
TBR does not need yet another food store, least of all Tesco. I'm not mad about the Costcutter next door but it has been useful, and I certainly dislike it less than any given GroTesco, whose Express stores are depressingly ubiquitous and utilitarian.

Aargh. I hate them! I can't pretend otherwise. Why do we have a system that allows them to be so effing rapacious?!

I totally agree. And what I also find depressing these days is that if you take a walk from let's say Hungerford bridge to Liverpool street taking all the back streets, instead of uncovering gems, you just walk past the same repetitive pattern of Strada , Gap, Cafe Nero, Tesco, Jones, Pret, Giraffe, Itsu etc etc. That's why I liked those links to archives of old London so much - they may have been hard times, but at least there was room for individuality.
Friday 12 February 2010 8.05am
What will this mini tescos sell that you cant get in t.b.r. already? If I go to surrey docks I use tescos, but I fear the entire country in going to be covered in red white and blue signage..no more individuality left anywhere, pretty soon they will expand into the nursing home business, after that the funeral business!

bring a new meaning..shop till you drop!
Friday 12 February 2010 10.27am
It's our own fault for shopping there.
The Walworth Road has just got it's very first Tesco Ghetto, there are queues bigger than the ones at the Post Office, with a massive lorry taking all our money to the Tesco shareholders.
Did you ever read the Tescopoly book, or visit the unrelated Tescopoly website?
Read about their planning app for Old Kent Road
Friday 12 February 2010 1.18pm
IMHO the reaction of the council to the redevelopment plans of the OKR store smacked of sour grapes as it simply served to highlight their inability to make any progress on the E&C regeneration. A new store and lots of affordable housing would have been a good thing.

I don't want to get into the pros and cons of Tesco, but they do employee 260,000 people in the UK who get a good deal (see the recent news re the SAYE scheme). In addition, Tesco is a fantastic example of a successful British business that has exported its model to other countries and generated a great deal of wealth for this country.

Given the success of their stores in the area I'm very happy to add to my shareholding - perhaps you might consider doing the same?
Friday 12 February 2010 2.58pm
re Tesco on TBR - if you can already buy everything else you need in Tesco, then you don't need to go there, and neither should anyone else - if you don't go, the shop will fail, and they'll move out. Start a petition, boycott the shop, hand out leaflets - "Just Say NO - to TESCO!!"
just because it's there, you don't have to go!

Re: Tesco OKR planning/expansion - what the council said is that it's not a 'town centre' location, and they won't allow more retail expansion in that area - they think it's unsustainable (espcially after ASDA oppened just up the road), also the number of car parking spaces will be fewer, but the store area will be larger, and the surrounding roads are already congested enough, the council don't want the extra traffic.
When Tesco did the public consultation in store, a lot of it was presented as "this is what we're going to do" (it's already got permission) - whereas in fact they hadn't even sent of for planning permission and were looking to get favourable opinions from their customer base to use in the planning application to suggest that the public opinion showed that people wanted the development.
Clearly they're using the "affordable housing", and community benefits to try to get a wedge in to let them put up a bigger superstore, which wouldn't be allowed if they were just building bigger, and nothing else.
you might think that I'm being cynical, but all of the extras that they're putting forward are easily justified to shareholders by the extra revenue created by a bigger store (especially since they can virtually gaurentee that anyone living in the new accomodation will shop at Tesco!).
Sunday 14 February 2010 9.36pm
the current "convenience" stores at that end of TBR are pretty horrible and I would never use them for food. They are IMHO pretty shoddy looking businesses and Tesco have a somewhat generic but better quality offer. You can argue about how ubiquitous their store logos have become, and I am no fan at all, but they will give most local people a more convenient place to buy better quality food. Those current stores use some business acumen to develop a better store - but they won't....

I agree with carmenes82- more footfall will help raise the profile of the other small businesses. And maybe the poor old Hartley!! If I was one of those struggling stores that Tesco will directly compete with, I'd be looking at selling fresh produce and meat - something Tesco & Sainsburys fail miserably at.
Monday 15 February 2010 9.45am
just going back to the Tesco OKR plan, unless I'm completely missing point, why should regeneration of that particular bit of SE1/area surrounding the store be contingent on whether Tesco gets the go ahead for its plans? To be honest, that particular part of the OKR has been allowed to deteriorate over the last few decades or so to the point where lots of it just needs to be knocked down. How many internet cafes/pound shops/rubbish does one road need? It patently needs redevelopment/refurbishment regardless of the Tesco plans.
Monday 15 February 2010 10.50am
Gavin,

I'm not sure I understand your point - the redevelopment of the OKR is partially contingent on Tesco because they own a big chunk of land on it. The development of 400 or so flats, a larger store and other spaces for community/local businesses would have been a catalyst for improving the rest of the area. Tesco also commitment to improving parts of Burgess Park, the bus loading/unloading space and the public realm (trees, street lighting, etc.) If you think the council can be relied upon to successfully regenerate an area, have a look at the E&C!

This was, as I have said before, a great missed opportunity.

Chris
Monday 15 February 2010 11.08am
Chris, you have stated entirely my point. I understand Tesco owns a chunk of land on the OKR but the surrounding area, according to the plans previously displayed in the OKR store, was destined for refurbishment funded by Tesco. You say yourself that the Tesco plans included Burgess Park/trees/street lighting. This is all the domain of Southwark Council/TfL whose responsibility all of this work is. I fail to see what 'benefit' a larger Tesco store will bring to the area and how this will be a catalyst for improvement. Whether or not the council is capable of regeneration is another debate and I partly accept your point re the Elephant, although wasn't there a private company involved with that?

I reckon demolishing the Tesco store and turning the land into a playground/open space would probably benefit the local community greater than another 400 flats!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions