London SE1 community website

Tesco TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Monday 15 February 2010 11.19am
J Sainsbury at Bermondsey Sq, is a 30 second walk from the shops on Tower Bridge Road. How has this shop oppening affected those shops already there?

Is there more footfall? Are people going to J.S. instead of the smaller independant retail places, because of the choice, value, freshness, quality, etc.

it could easily be argued that you get more choice at the smaller shops - they certainly tend to have a bigger selection of alcohol.
Monday 15 February 2010 12.23pm
The council seem to find it impossible to say no to Tesco. I cannot blame Tesco for wanting to dominate the market. The issue I have with Tesco opening in Southwark Park Road is there are already other family run convenience stores who may be forced to close. Although competition is good and very important to the consumer getting value and often choice, the potential of killing off an independent shopkeeper is not good for the area.

A prime example of this is Retailer Social Care : Small retailers such as bakers, butchers and greengrocers are a communities unpaid social Carers, especially for elderly residents, but these retailers are fast disappearing from The Blue and other high streets, which I believe is extremely short-sighted of local councils and the central government.

These types of retailers are normally well settled into a community. The residents often know the retailers by their first name and visa versa. This has enormous advantages for the community and the local authority, but especially the elderly residents. The retailers will expect to see the elderly resident either daily or during their normal shopping trips, and if the elderly person does not turn up then the retailer would typically speak to a neighbour who would check on the person; this is extremely valuable to the elderly person, to the community and to the local
council.

A retailer would also be willing to give a loaf of bread, a lamb chop, or some vegetables to a elderly person, who was a regular, if that person didn't have their pension payment yet. This means that the elderly person would not miss a meal which may have been the case without the retailer. In the colder days and nights food is an essential source of heat for the body and is therefore vital for the elderly for health.

These unofficial social care services are extremely valuable to a community. There is no way a major retailer such as Iceland or The COOP, who are based in The Blue, or Tesco who is coming to The Blue, would ever provide this type of care.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Tuesday 16 February 2010 1.46pm
Went to the opening of the Tesco on Southwark Park Road today - absolutely rammed! Despite the concerns of some posters, hopefully it will attract more retailers into the area. I never used to go to the Blue, but went today and noticed an interesting shop that sells white goods/home appliances and am going to check them out when I replace my kitchen...this is just the kind of example I was trying to highlight re TBR. A Tesco creates footfall which other businesses can leverage.
Tuesday 16 February 2010 2.45pm
carmenes82 wrote:
Went to the opening of the Tesco on Southwark Park Road today - absolutely rammed!

This is possibly because they've flyered the local area with money off vouchers for the new store which are valid from today...
Tuesday 16 February 2010 3.27pm
I know - clever marketing :)
Wednesday 17 February 2010 12.12am
I think it is a very sad state of affairs when almost every main street in London is getting a Tesco metro, sainsbury's local etc. How can we tell the council that these businesses are not wanted here?

But we have to ask why is it so possible and common and the reason is people would rather shop there than in some tatty corner shop where the freshness of the food is up for judgement.

It would be great to see a more eclectic mix of delis, cafes, restaurants, shops and business on TBR but unfortunately there aren't the incentives for people to start these businesses due to rent costs but also competition from chains such as Tesco.

I don't know how it would work but it seems the council should be helping small businesses to start out to help turn our area into an interesting characterful place.

There is great opportunity for TBR due to its location and some great places already. But unfortunately these are padded out with dodgy takeaways and run down shops and a Tesco will just make things worse.
Wednesday 17 February 2010 7.59am
I loved the badre shop with its olives,chicken etc..wonder why they closed?
Wednesday 17 February 2010 9.33am
Jan the old one wrote:
I loved the badre shop with its olives,chicken etc..wonder why they closed?

Seems to be having some work done, wonder if they will re-open.
Wednesday 17 February 2010 11.28am
Nick, I agree with your comments, in fact all of them.

TBR could be a very cool place to live and shop. What I have found is the management of the shops is run by the councils property department, who seem to know as much about running a business and Gordon Brown knows about running a country.

I live in The Blue and I speak with many business owners and residents about the near death of The Blue. I became vocal in April 2009, about the shopping and how the council have managed (not), The Blue and Southwark Park Road. They don't seem to realise that if you put lipstick on a pig (refurbishment) you still have a pig. They should be creating an environment; a shopping experience that attracts locals and non-locals alike. It wouldn't cost that much either.

It is my campaign that has led me to running to be a councillor in South Bermondsey. I figure I can do more from within than from the outside.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 17 February 2010 2.17pm
Gary where did you get the music for your website? I couldn't stop laughing. It's like something from Brass Eye or The Day Today.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions