London SE1 community website

Tesco TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Wednesday 17 February 2010 3.38pm
beetroot wrote:
Gary where did you get the music for your website? I couldn't stop laughing. It's like something from Brass Eye or The Day Today.

I have to say (and apologies for going off-thread), music on websites is a pet hate for me. In the office everyone turns around to see what it is, at home I just find it intrusive - especially if I'm listening to something of my own choice at the same time.
Wednesday 17 February 2010 5.16pm
Nick Old Kent Road wrote:
I think it is a very sad state of affairs when almost every main street in London is getting a Tesco metro, sainsbury's local etc. How can we tell the council that these businesses are not wanted here?

I'm not sure you can claim that "these businesses are not wanted here". I popped into Sainsbury's at Bermondsey Square last night to buy some eggs for my pancake recipe, and was astonished to see so many people queuing, even with all the tills open. It looks to me like these businesses *are* wanted here: they are open decent hours, things are in stock, it's well-lit and it's cheap. No wonder they're so successful....

I don't think you can complain if Tesco is beating other local businesses on their own turf - they're just doing the same thing but better. It's up to the other businesses to change, isn't it?
Wednesday 17 February 2010 9.55pm
I pretty much have to agree with AndyABC!
I was really shocked too that although everyone on here apparently hates companies like Tesco and Sainsburys, the one in Bermondsey SQ is always busy!

I'm actually a fan of TESCO!So I'm quite excited to see if this will be a good store.
I work long hours in the West End and by the time I get home at 9pm there isn't really much option to support local traders apart from the take aways and dusty overpriced cornershops.
I'm only buying for myself so can't do a big 'family shop' once a week, I rely on the small express style stores for small daily things like fruit and veg and can pay on a card with no min spend and receive rewards points etc.

I do find the Bermondsey Square Sainsbury pretty rubbish so usually end up carrying home supplies from Tescos in town on the awful buses, so the though of grabbing something from a new shop right next to the bus stop is brilliant for me!
Thursday 18 February 2010 10.32am
Shoggy, you may well like Tesco and that being the case, you probably wouldn't mind a bit of a longer walk to one of the many existing stores. I like McDonald's , but if I want it I go to the nearest one which is about a ten-minute walk.
Thursday 18 February 2010 10.59am
Yes Gavin during the day I'd happily go a bit further but my point is when I get home tired at 9pm I'd love something close and i'm sure I can't be the only one.

As a girl often by myself I'm not keen to walk away to the other store late at night. The long lane express may only be a 10 min walk but the road is also very dark and there have been several stories on here about muggings etc (I know my male flatemate has mentioned he's had trouble).
The other 'option' would be a 20 min walk to the old kent road one (again during the day there is the quick cut through via mandella way but I'd say that's also a no go at night).

PS. I do wonder if everyone would be so up in arms if it was a new WAITROSE store being opened!Ha ha!
Thursday 18 February 2010 11.24am
Shoggy, I appreciate for a girl, walking down a dark road can be dangerous/intimidating. However, there are already shops on TBR (Sainsbury Local, two Costcutter-type supermarkets plus at least one extra off-licence) to buy anything you need meaning that, unless you're desperate for extra Clubcard points, there's no need to even consider leaving TBR anyway. Clubcard points are good, don't get me wrong, but when you want a packet of fags or late night tipple or just something for supper, any shop will do and TBR has many of those shops.

TBR doesn't need a Tesco (or Waitrose/Morrisons/Asda while we're at it).
Thursday 18 February 2010 12.02pm
shoggy wrote:
PS. I do wonder if everyone would be so up in arms if it was a new WAITROSE store being opened!Ha ha!

V funny - I had exactly the same thought. Given the success of Waitrose on Whitecross Street (just off Old Street), which is not exactly an obvious location for them, I would think that TBR is not totally off their radar. What about a TBR Tesco AND a Waitrose?!

Speaking of which - is there any news on whether Waitrose is going into More London?
Thursday 18 February 2010 3.03pm
From Waitrose ;):

Thank you for your e-mail.

Waitrose are looking to expand however, due to the sensitive nature of this development we are unable to disclose any information regarding further locations at this present time.

If you click on our online branch finder, the new branches planned for 2010 are shown at the bottom of the page.
http://www.waitrose.com/branches/index.aspx

We would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us with your comments and for your interest in Waitrose.

Regards,

Ben Butler

Waitrose Customer Service.
Friday 19 February 2010 11.21am
Hi Truthmonkey. Ahhh, the music. It was part of the video I downloaded, I like the music myself, but agree it can be intrusive being 'pushed' at you, but as it was part of the video I can't remove it.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
ADT
Friday 19 February 2010 1.18pm
I'm a pro-supermarket person. I suspect that a Tesco/Sainsbury/equivalent pays its staff more, sells things cheaper and stocks more variety than the local/costcutter type shops. Whilst I feel sorry for the little shops that may lose business and/or close, in the grand scheme of things I think the new Tesco will improve the area.

NB - Shoggy - for an alternative on a well lit route, try Lidl. They are a bit quirky in terms of what they stock, but I tend to always find something I want when I pop in for last minute stuff and unlike the 'local' shop type places, they aren't overpriced - I noticed the other day that the milk is 2/3 the price of Tesco/Asda/cornershop milk.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions