London SE1 community website

Tesco TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Friday 19 February 2010 1.44pm
You've got to watch quality with Lidl though. I've had some very disappointing feta and beetroot from there. I did but a pretty good workbench vice though, and they once had some good horse blankets.
Friday 19 February 2010 3.11pm
ADT wrote:
I suspect that a Tesco/Sainsbury/equivalent pays its staff more

Both, ordinarily, pay the minimum wage. The big chains often add value with staff discounts and sharesave schemes and the like though.
ADT
Friday 19 February 2010 5.15pm
Tesco definitely pay over the minimum - used to be quite far above, not sure now. No idea about Sainsbury - never known anyone working there, but you'd expect it compares to Tesco.
Friday 19 February 2010 9.32pm
The great thing about Tescos is how it keeps riff-raff out of Waitrose, come to think of it, much like Waitrose keeping low life out of Fortnums.
Saturday 20 February 2010 12.37pm
Tesco pay about 7.50 per hour. Lidl is/was the best supermarket employer, paying its employees over 10 an hour.
Tuesday 6 April 2010 2.54pm
I see that Tesco have put up hoardings round the front of the shop. The sign says it will open in June.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
boo
Tuesday 6 April 2010 5.05pm
At the end of the day, it's price that counts. Tesco/Sainsbury's products are always cheaper than those in costcutter/cornershops. so I definitely welcome Tesco/Sainsbury and the likes.
Tuesday 6 April 2010 5.40pm
Tesco on Southwark Park Road have their very big trucks parked outside the store on double-yellow lines.

The trucks block buses from getting past and on more than one time I have seen traffic blocking the junction at St. James's Road/Southwark Park Road.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 7 April 2010 8.34am
boo wrote:
At the end of the day, it's price that counts. Tesco/Sainsbury's products are always cheaper than those in costcutter/cornershops. so I definitely welcome Tesco/Sainsbury and the likes.

That is because they can afford to buy in bulk and dictate prices often unfairly to farmers and other producers. This means they can undercut the small independant stores and put them out of business.
boo
Wednesday 7 April 2010 3.38pm
RE: Dee Dee

I understand that big supermarkets like Tesco can afford to buy in bulk, therefore can offer lower priced products to consumers. However, in this credit crunch/recession climate, (and a rather selfish point of view i'm afraid), price is the only important factor. If I can buy the same product for a cheaper price, then why not? I am on a tight budget, so I welcome any shops that can help me to stay within my budget.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions