London SE1 community website

Tesco TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Wednesday 7 April 2010 4.58pm
I don't know how long ago that Tesco openned on SPR but I don't think its made much difference. I don't like it very much down there.
We've only just moved into the area and on Saturday my Boyfriend and I got some racist comments when we walked along the road with our baby.
I was shocked! We probably wont be walking that way again.
Wednesday 7 April 2010 5.13pm
I am very sorry to read of your experience, which is unacceptable. There will always be people who have those views, mainly through ignorance, but please don't let them win. If you don't do something you would normally do the scum element win.

As for shopping in The Blue, well it was once good and if I get the opportunity to care for The Blue as a councillor I will make it me my mission to get it back on its feet. If fewer people shop there, the fewer shops will want to open, or stay open, and then it is lost for good. The Blue is ideally placed to be a very cool place to live and shop, but a lack of care, investment and ideas from councillors and the council have let it suffer badly.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 7 April 2010 11.25pm
Yes, horrible to hear about the racist comments. But I'm sure you'll meet lots of good neighbours now you're in the area, and I hope that'll cancel out the bad experience.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 5.27pm
I gather the store is now open. Was today the first day?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 9.38pm
Yes, and the store appeared to be doing very well. The Costcutter next door will probably not survive much longer; its staff looked despondent. I mean, even more than usual.

I have mixed feelings about their fate. Whilst I dislike the ubiquity of Tesco and the other supermarkets, it has to be said that smaller grocery stores don't generally do themselves any favours - in terms of creating an inviting retail environment, little effort is made. Poor-quality signage, bare strip lights, a lack of fresh produce, often out-of-date goods on the shelves, uncompetitive prices, indifferent staff.

I remember the now-defunct Tower Bridge supermarket further down TBR from the Costcutter, opposite Leroy Street. I was utterly unsurprised by its demise. What was the point of it? What exactly did its owners think they were doing new, differently or better than the Costcutter? What was going through their minds when they decided to open up another grocery store on an already saturated stretch of road, only for it to be worse than the others?

If the TBR Costcutter (next to the Tesco, not the one further up) was more like the Great Dover Street Costcutter, then game on. But unless they raise their game - I doubt 24-hour opening will be enough on its own - then they and others like them will continue to fall victim to supermarkets.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 10.26pm
I want the Costcutter to stay only because it stocks a good range of Ben n Jerrys!

Seriously though, what I cannot understand is why on that stretch of TBR, that was the premises (ex Lloyds TSB)they chose. If they had it and the Costcutter next door I could understand. If they took the Tower supermarket I could understand. If they took the empty site and one of the ones next to it, I could understand. They have chosen practically the only premises where the footprint is very small and where their deliver trucks can't pull up - zig zags for the crossing. Can't wait to see how quickly they run out of stock and how they manage to restock.
boo
Thursday 3 June 2010 3.30pm
I am glad that Tesco TBR is finally opened. I have walked past the store and it looks good.

I am surprised that the grocery shop, opposite Sainsbury is still in business. I am sure their business has gone down since Sainsbury opened but I guess the fact that they open 24 hours does help.
Thursday 3 June 2010 6.11pm
Good point. Maybe the Costcutter will survive after all. They stock Rose's lime cordial, y'know. The Tesco next door does not. Costcutter 1, Tesco 0.
Thursday 3 June 2010 11.22pm
I have little love for most "off license" stores. They have lots of sweets and alcohol (however, mostly cheap lager!), but little good quality food. Breadwise, they are horrible -- do I really have to go to Borough Market to get decent bread? Even the cheeses are despicable. An off license store next to my flat doesn't even sell brie!
Thursday 3 June 2010 11.34pm
Roman wrote:
An off license store next to my flat doesn't even sell brie!

LOL!

We really have come a long way from when I was young - shops closed at 6pm, 1pm on a Wednesday or Thursday, and brie was unheard of! An off-license would just sell booze and a few sweets. I'm not talking ancient history here either. 20 years ago no one would have expected to buy bread and cheese in an offy.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions