London SE1 community website

Worst takeaway ever?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Monday 15 March 2004 9.14pm
There are in fact two different Indian restaurants in Tower Bridge rd - the Tower Bridge Tandoori, up by the bridge, and the Tower Tandoori, between Grange Rd & the Bricklayers Arms. The Tower Tandoori has been there for much longer and I've always had good meals there with no problems, but like other people I've been disappointed in the Tower Bridge one. It would be helpful to know whether the people who say there were disappointed in the Tower Tandoori actually meant this one or Tower Bridge - if they did mean the Tower, please do complain in person and give them a chance to put things right, as I've found them very helpful and willing tolisten to people's views.

If in fact people meant the Tower Bridge one, maybe they could make it clear, cos it would seem a pity to criticise the wrong one!

Thanks
Tuesday 16 March 2004 11.28pm
Hilary,

I do indeed mean the one right on the Tower Bridge approach itself.
In the original posting I did put tower approach, but it can be easily confused by the almost identical names.

I have never tried the one down by the bricklayers, but maybe I should!

Jo
Wednesday 17 March 2004 3.29am
Tower Tandoori (South end of TB Rd) is indeed good. Good food, reasonable prices and friendly staff. I've been going for the last 10 years. Do take-away, but do not deliver.
Wednesday 17 March 2004 11.30am
Oh I got confused...I was talking about having a really bad take away from Tower Tandoori not Tower Bridge...
So that's not good though is it? Bad take aways from both.
I will tell them that it was bad recently because I do agree with you Hilary that they do listen to complaints, maybe they'll sort it out.
Wednesday 17 March 2004 11.44pm
Thank goodness - when I first read this thread, I thought it was referring to Tower Tandoori (S of Grange Road) - I didn't realise there was another one with an almost identical name. I'm so relieved - I haven't been to Tower Tandoori for a while, but used to get takeaway from there quite often, and always enjoyed it. (But I'm a vegetarian, so probably have different criteria for judging a restaurant to a lot of people.) Out of interest, tanya, what did you order and why was it bad?
Thursday 18 March 2004 11.29am
Let me think, it was probably along the lines of chicken tikka masala or butter chicken tikka with pilau rice and some peshwari naan. Everything was only luke warm, but the sauce was really sickly with an odd flavour. The naan was cold and quite hard.
I've been ordering from them for years and I've always thought they were really good and never had a problem with the food. Sometimes its been easy to figure out when the regular chef might not be on but its never been as bad as it was the last time.
Both me and my bloke didn't feel too good after eating it, lets just say it didn't make a reappearance but it certainly repeated nastily!
Thursday 18 March 2004 1.14pm

Does anyone know what Tandoori Nights (on Trinity Road) is like?

It is a great name regardless - although maybe tandoori morning might be more appropriate.
Sue
Friday 19 March 2004 2.14pm
Morley Tandoori not too bad, only does takeaway, but out of SE1 one of my fave cheap places is the Lahore Express on Bethnal Green Road. Looks like a Bollywood version of an American diner, doesn't do booze, does takeaway or eat in, great food cheap as chips.
Sunday 21 March 2004 12.06am
Just wanted to say that we tried Simply Indian last night. (tabard st)
I used their internet ordering and delivery.

We enjoyed it quite a lot.
The quality of the ingredients used is very high, although the portions are a bit on the stingy side.

However you do get lots of nice meat and the prce is very reasonable.
My one complaint is that we ordered Pilau rice and got boiled, but having said that what we got was lovely.

I think we will probably go there again.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Jo
Monday 22 March 2004 11.46am

Got a takeaway from Tower Tandoori on Friday night.
Have to say that it was probably the most bland curry I have ever had!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions