London SE1 community website

Never-ending 'streetworks'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 27 February 2010 6.17pm
possell, he is pro ethnic minority, that's true, but the stuff he implemented benefited the wider community; free bus fares for kids, cheaper diesel for London buses. I guess it is a matter of opinion but, in mine (opinion that is), he is far better than Boris.
Sunday 28 February 2010 7.47pm
Thanks, Gavin, for giving the reasons for your opinion. I don't support either of them and if you'd said that Boris was wonderful I would have wanted to know why. A bald statement without any justification, especially on politics, always deserves a challenge!
Monday 1 March 2010 12.08pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I thought Boris was going to do something about this endless upheaval...
hot air, that's all he's been doing, producing hot air. which does not help us londoners at all.
Monday 1 March 2010 11.01pm
Whatever the politics, London is in a right mess at the moment. I pity those who have to suffer Borough High Street which is in an even worse state than I imagined. And if Thames Water are only doing the pipes now, you know it will be at least a year before all the other utility companies have ripped it to shreds and kept the traffic diverted. Oops. Silly me, I forgot about the bridge yet to be built across the High Street and the huge gouge out of Borough Market. When is Crossrail to be finished? 2017 wasn't it. So after 7 years of bad luck with Thames Water disruption, we have have 7 years Crossrail to look forward to.

From this vantage point, it seems far from progress I can tell you. Especially when you can't actually 'progress' anywhere. It's dug up and diverted.
Tuesday 2 March 2010 8.12am
It would explain why BHS has been left to rot all these years with such low grade shop units, scaffolding, etc.
Tuesday 2 March 2010 8.02pm
I am assured by my local councillor that Waterloo Road will be re-surfaced once the works have finished.

Two problems. The works may never finish. My car may have disappeared down a pothole before then.

I kid you not. I have a house in Cyprus, thus a Landcruiser to navigate the roads. It would be challenged by Waterloo Road from the Cut to the roundabout. Why can they not fill the holes in, even on a temporary basis?
Wednesday 3 March 2010 10.04pm
We're a little out of the way for Crossrail - do you mean Thameslink? Alot of disruption ahead, no doubt, but worth it, and they seem to be working quite fast.

More needless is the disruption as Boris paints the roads up to Southwark bridge Blue for his Cycle Superlane. They are at Tooting now...

The curb changes took on Great Suffolk Street took months, utterly bizarre. Worst was the insistance that just because a tiny bit of road was unpaved the whole thing had to be shut.
Thursday 4 March 2010 6.02pm
We have had the pleasure of Morrisons working on behalf of Thames Water for six weeks now in Thrale Street - the whole street has been closed for that period. For the first three weeks we had to endure the (expected) incredible racket (the street is very narrow so the workmen were about 10 feet away from the houses). That was unavoidable I guess, but there was no need for the unbelievably loud and crude 'conversations' between workers (as an ex Leicester City season ticket holder I thought I was immune to such things, but if I my 3 year old isn't), random appearances from workmen outside our window any time between 1am and 7am in the morning shouting down the street to some fellow muppet 50 yards away, the noise from 6.30am of them 'getting ready' to work at 8am, or of their portaloo being emptied etc. I finally snapped after the council gave them a license to work from 1 til 6 in the morning - again ten feet from where we would like to have been sleeping. I rang the council four times, and spoke to Thames Water and Morrisons. Then, for no reason I could fathom they pretty much disappeared for the last three weeks, leaving the street still shut, and the parking in chaos. Occasionally a couple of blokes will potter around, but only for an hour or so. I presume Thames Water aren't aware they'll have been charged (so far) for six weeks work for a three work job. And the street. Is still. Closed.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 12.55pm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 2.15pm
James - I know I could go outside and look, but where's that sign?

Waterloo Road's a residential street, at least at the St George's Circus end, lined with hostels, student accomodation, private and socal residential flats and a 4-star hotel.

Surely they wouldn't deprive hundreds of people of two weeks sleep simply for the convenience of commuters.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions