London SE1 community website

Waterloo Bridge works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 29 March 2010 12.00pm
So now they have also shut the Strand underpass for "urgent maintenance", thereby doubling the problem. I think the sign said for four weeks...

It is probably quicker to swim across now.

Words fail me...
Tuesday 30 March 2010 11.04am
^ Indeed. The congestion was terrible this morning... :(

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Tuesday 30 March 2010 2.27pm
When everyone works out that TfL have little or no interest in ensuring traffic flow in London, and are hell bent on making life beyond difficult for all road users then we will all be much happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tuesday 30 March 2010 9.08pm
I don't think that it is unfair to say that TFL, rather than having little or no interest in ensuring, (or at least trying to ensure), that traffic flows as freely as is possible in London, would appear to have a great more deal of interest in bringing the capital to a shuddering halt, or of certainly turning a blind eye as London does so.
The $64 question is why?
Tuesday 30 March 2010 9.53pm
debrajoan, the $64 (million?) answer is that they don't give a sh*t, that's the country we live in. tfl and local councils employ contractors to resurface roads etc, which mainly involves lazy blokes standing around smoking a ciggie and gawping at women walking by. when the job is "done" they know it will need re-doing again in 6 months time, cos they've done it so badly, and it keeps everybody in work (omg perhaps there's positive side!) i've said it before and i'll say it again, welcome to rip-off britain (at taxpayers expense). ps: can someone start a new thread and tell me what we (great britain) are very good at (in chatter obviously). thanks : )
Wednesday 31 March 2010 9.40am
I am not sure if this helps, but I can asure you this sort of things do not happen only in Britain. The Swiss are absolutely capable to do the same. Z├╝rich even managed to get into the newspaper as there must be as many road works as in London and if they finish one street they open it again in two weeks time, just to do few things. Reason why is: if they do not spend the whole money which they got in the budget, they will get less for the next year..
So no, it is not only Britain the other countries near by do the same, which is of corse no excuse.
There should be a bigger change in politics, but this is probably another subject.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions