London SE1 community website

What's happening to the building at 1 Valentine Place?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 20 March 2010 5.38pm
It is definitely being demolished. Such a shame. i loved that building, 1880s workhouses, with really nice original features. I asked in the newsagent and he thought it was an eight story block of flats going there. I don't understand why there aren't any planning details though? Isn't that illegal? If I'd known about the application, I'd definitely have put in an objection. too many of the nice Victorian buildings around here are being knocked down and replaced with rubbish. Also, it's nice to have a mix of smaller businesses. the Travelodge building is so dull and municipal. It's even more upsetting about Valentine Row when there is a vacant lot right next door. why not build there. that's been unused for over five years. it's maddening.
the old Dawson news site is now being used for some type of filming. they had a set with a car in it few weekends ago.
Wednesday 24 March 2010 7.48pm
I called the council. No planning application has been made, nor were they notified of the demolition. Its not listed or in a conservation area, so no obligation for them to be. They said it is unusual, however, that someone would begin work like that and not notify them, so they are sending down an inspector. As its a nice, characterful 1886 building, my guess is the owners didn't want to make an application with it still there, when people, ie. us residents who appreciate it, would object. Very cynical. Also, I guess if they want to build something much higher than existing buildings, perhaps less feasible to propose an 8 storey one, if a one storey currrently in its place.
Thursday 25 March 2010 10.08am
the rumour now is that its owned by the same people who own the empty site next to me and that once demo is done the building starts on the front site. the rear site will be sister/twin of the front building. ( note rumours only at this stage!)
Friday 26 March 2010 3.18pm
The council inspector went along yesterday. No building application is planned as yet. He said he thought that the owners were demolishing the building to avoid paying building rates.
Friday 20 January 2012 4.10pm
A hoarding has gone up advertising the website: http://onevalentineplace.com. A seven storey office building. Spoke to the agent, Hanover Green. It should be finished by the end of the year. Trying to find out who owns the site but can't get any information. Some of the companies involved, architects, etc, are listed on the Team page on the website but those I've called can't give any information. Haven't managed to speak with the website folks, http://ingk.co.uk, yet...
Friday 20 January 2012 6.32pm
Nic Byrom is the landlord - and I think owner - of the 102-107 Blackfriars site. The developers are Dealfirst Ltd, Partick Group and Gemaco SA

It's funny they are branding the development 1 Valentine Place, when in fact the new development is only sited on 102-107 Blackfriars Road. After construction the alleyway (valentine place) will return. And what was 1 Valentine Place will be a derelict site again

guess www.102-107blackfriarsroad.com doesn't have the same ring to it

Just before Christmas, Nic Byrom, put in permission to demolish 21 Webber Street which is next door to the Blackfriars Road and Valentine PLace sites. Currently there is a really nice 1907 former bakery on the site. Occupied with businesses. He has no application in for a new scheme for the site - so if the demolition goes ahead, he will have two derelict sites next to each other. 1 Valentine Place and 21 Webber Street.

There is a petition going around on Saturday to save 21 Webber Street - if anyone wants to sign, get in touch and we'll add your name
Friday 20 January 2012 7.12pm
hetty wrote:
There is a petition going around on Saturday to save 21 Webber Street - if anyone wants to sign, get in touch and we'll add your name

There's a thread here about 21 Webber Street. Is there an online petition?
Saturday 21 January 2012 3.01pm
at the moment it is in old-fashioned, paper form. tell me a name and we will add it. online version coming soon!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions