London SE1 community website

Destroying the character of Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Wednesday 29 June 2011 5.40pm
John_Corey wrote:

Let's assume developers and planners are part of the solution rather than assuming they are automatically part of the problem.

Yes, please let's.
Wednesday 29 June 2011 7.45pm
Another yes to John_Corey's statement.

Speaking as a resident of Bermondsey Street for over 10 years I've nothing against tall buildings and I don't see them as a threat. I am in favour of the SPD and its tall building's provision.

I hate poorly designed and poorly planned architecture and I think our interest should be in the direction of making certain that what ever project is chosen to go on St Thomas street, that it is sensitively and tastefully done and integrates thoughtfully with the surrounding community.
Wednesday 29 June 2011 8.40pm
Hi Eric.

What is your view so far in regard to the current proposal for St Thomas's street?

There will be an entrance into the station and the rest will be backwalls of TFL storages.

Don't you think this is going to leave a big empty corridor?
What it is more odd is that it will be next to the access to the Shard. So like to say Shangri-La and so on.. and then: Back of storages. It seems quite drastic.

Anyway. Your thoughts?
Wednesday 29 June 2011 8.52pm
Talking of which - anyone know what the future of the Globe pub is? It looks awfully closed in at the moment, but once all the boarding has gone, it could actually become quite attractive. Will it just attract more suits and tourists? I am not a huge fan of the Southwark Tavern or the Market Porter, although I used to enjoy a cheeky early pint at the ST when it opened in the early hours of the morning after working night shifts. I am quite pessimistic about whether the Wheatsheaf will ever be restored to its former glory, when for some of us it was the most local of local pubs to which we could even take the kids on a summer evening. Sigh.
Wednesday 29 June 2011 9.01pm
For once Edward I agree to your post totally... and I am happy.
Wednesday 29 June 2011 9.40pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I am quite pessimistic about whether the Wheatsheaf will ever be restored to its former glory, when for some of us it was the most local of local pubs to which we could even take the kids on a summer evening. Sigh.

To go briefly off topic, The Wheatsheaf was never the same once they got rid of the sticky carpet, if that's the era you're referring to, eDWaRD. Though the top floor has been shaved off it actually looks as if it's been compressed into the ground by the weight of the new viaduct. I hope the eventual makeover isn't too twee, and the beer offering improves, but at least it will have more outside space.
Thursday 30 June 2011 5.05pm
janefs wrote:
To go briefly off topic, The Wheatsheaf was never the same once they got rid of the sticky carpet ...

Absolutely agree. And also about hoping that the beer offering is improved.

To go even further off topic - the Southwark Tavern can be quite good sometimes, but that is mainly in comparison to the Market Porter which has gone downhill dramatically in recent years.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 30 June 2011 7.47pm
Wheatsheaf - am I missing something here? It's my understanding that the landlord(s) won't be returning to Stoney Street after all the work is done. They appear to be happy where they are now.
Thursday 30 June 2011 10.06pm
Off topic or not...

Would people say that the character of Bermondsey Street is specific to the street, to areas directly connected (St Thomas Street for example) or the area that includes places like Stoney Street?

Clearly the Stoney is not part of Bermondsey Street. Technically it is part of the Bankside area. In other ways the area is a lot bigger than what is taking place on Bermondsey Street.

Thursday 30 June 2011 11.37pm
Hi John I believe St Thomas's street is crucially linked to Bermondsey street. Is like a artery nourishing Bermondsey village.

You make a disaster on St Thomas's = you affect badly Berm street!

On the contrary, it could become a nice corridor to link the new development of the Shard and the community around to Bermondsey street. Both sides will benefit.

The problem is that when Simon Beavan presented his project, the development of St Thomas's st was poor and represented the wick part.

Any plan for it? Or specific views?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions