London SE1 community website

Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
Wednesday 7 April 2010 10.23pm
Hiya. I take exeception to the original posting.Simon Hughes has dones masses for the area and myself and many people I know. Taking a beyond call of duty approach and seeing some very dificult issues through to the end. I don't have personnel experience of Val Shawcross but I have heard also she works very hard. We are very lucky they are both so hands on at nitty gritty level. And not just interested in their own profile.
Wednesday 7 April 2010 10.25pm
It should be remembered that the figures provided by Mr Bland are all to do with the Chile Wellbeing Index.

But housing is a good example.

The Indicators:
Access to housing:
• Overcrowding: occupancy rating. Source: Census table CAS053.
• Shared accommodation: people living in shared dwellings, aged 0 to 15 as a proportion of all children 0-15 in each LSOA. Source: Census table CAS054
• Homelessness: concealed families containing dependent children as a proportion of all families with dependent children. Source: Census table CAS011
Quality of housing
• Lack of central heating: children aged 0 to 15 years old living in accommodation without central heating as a proportion of all children aged 0 to 15. Source: Census table CAS054

First of all these figures are not just for council housing.

Certainly more than 4 councils have got rid of their housing stock either through LSVT or creation of ALMOs.

But also it should be pointed out that homelessness, overcrowding etc were exasperated by the Conservative Right to Buy policy, which reduced housing stock, and especially the better homes whilst stopping councils from using the money to build new homes.

The latest results (2009) demonstrate how Southwark's treatment of our children is disgraceful. - Gary Bland.

But lets use the Conservative own argument. In the paper 'Big Society Not Big Government' the footnote includes Durmont et.al. 'Changing UK - The Way We Live Now'

'The evidence presented in this report suggests that if recent trends continue into the coming decades, although we may not notice the change year on year, like lobsters not noticing the heat turning up in the pan, Britons will come to live in an extremely segregated, fragmented and alienated society in the future. That is if these trends are not abated. Trends towards segregation and polarisation were reduced significantly within the last one hundred years of British social history, prior to 1973.'

So government policies, Conservative and Labour have contrived to create the very things Mr Bland is protesting about.

I noticed Mr Bland has removed the statement on his site stating he would do his best to see no pregnant teenager would get a home before they reached 21.

'Since I was a youngster I have heard people say, rightly or wrongly, that if a teenage girl gets pregnant then she will get a flat quicker. I don't know if this is true or just an urban myth, but whatever the case in my personal opinion this should not be allowed, and this should be shouted from the council rafters repeatedly.'

So Mr Bland is happy to make his mind up and come up with pollicies based on possible myths.

But he is generous, extra points for 5 A - C GCSEs, more points for A levels, and even more points for university - no mention of vocational courses.

So, as Mr Bland has pointed out, Southwark suffers from a great deal of deprivation which has a huge effect on the children, education, housing, assumedly he would agree this would effect self esteem? He is deeply concerned about this.

Perhaps Mr Bland would care to answer some questions.

Where do you stand on young people not pregnant getting their own homes, considering the poor education etc you pointed out?

What of young people in care, homes or foster homes, who become pregnant?

What about young people who live in already overcrowded conditions, subject to abuse, or may for other reasons cannot continue living at home?

Your original statement on your website stated social or private housing. So the new 'Big Society Not Big Government' will still be about segragating and polarising communities?

You complain of the 'blight' of our children but advocating kicking babies onto the street on what you freely admit might be an urban legend?

Personally I think the real question is how much longer can we afford to put up with this 'two party' government horse.

Using your own argument, after 30+ years of Conservatives and Labour wrecking our country it is about time the Lib Dems were voted in, certainly wouldn't do worse, and I suspect would do a lot better.

Note: I'm not a LibDem candidate or MP.
Wednesday 7 April 2010 10.47pm
Gary I think you live in bygone era the world has moved on, we would all like a thriving blue by Tesco killed that when the Conservative government created Surrey Quays you know that I know that so maybe its time for you to move to the garden of Kent, i am no lover of Val but after 4 years of the Conservatives taking credit for the good things and ducking out when its not so rosie on the Council, pot calling the kettle black comes to mind, Lastly Lorna Morrison as our MP please don't get me started!
Thursday 8 April 2010 12.13am
We all have our different political views and affiliations and these inevitably colour our discussions on these boards but kicking off a discussion with the sole intention of slagging off politicians you don't like is not on.

I'm amazed that anyone can say Simon Hughes or Val Shawcross haven't done much - they are more active than many other MPs and councillors I have met.
Thursday 8 April 2010 6.58am
Val is an incredibly hard-working and visible GLA rep. you insult her at your peril as previous attacks have been rebuked by voters who know and respect her campaigning skills and representations (see southwark news letters ad nauseum). attacking st simon will also get you nowhere.
the difference?
at least val as member for bermonsey and old southwark has a chance of being in government. the waste of simon is that he never has and is never likely to be in government ever.
you may not like it, but your mp being with the ruling party has its advantages as old bob showed up until 1982.
Thursday 8 April 2010 7.32am
Gary Bland wrote:

The use of the phrase 'bugger all' is not swearing

Fabulous! You'll go all the way.
Thursday 8 April 2010 9.03am
kellandj wrote:
you may not like it, but your mp being with the ruling party has its advantages

The voters of Camberwell & Peckham might question that claim. It seems to me that the higher politicians get up the ladder the more cautious they are to committing to anything. Why would they want to put their career at risk for a 'trivial' local issue, especially when they're in one of the safest seats in the country?
Thursday 8 April 2010 10.24am
kellandj wrote:
Val is an incredibly hard-working and visible GLA rep. you insult her at your peril as previous attacks have been rebuked by voters who know and respect her campaigning skills and representations (see southwark news letters ad nauseum). attacking st simon will also get you nowhere.
the difference?
at least val as member for bermonsey and old southwark has a chance of being in government. the waste of simon is that he never has and is never likely to be in government ever.
you may not like it, but your mp being with the ruling party has its advantages as old bob showed up until 1982.
methinks simon hiughes may be a little closer to govt. than you think.
Thursday 8 April 2010 11.28am
Simon Hughes is a great local MP; he has helped lots of local people with local issues. Val Shawcross has upped her output in terms of Southwark News letters and making herself more prominent, but she is surely a 'career politician' who has no real interest or allegiance to Southwark; it is just a means to an end. I'm not saying that doesn't make her good at her job, but I think local people do a better job at representing interests and we could put it down to a coincidence but does her (increased) output in the local press have absolutely nothing to do with the imminent election?
Thursday 8 April 2010 11.56am

That quote from your website is quite revealing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions