London SE1 community website

Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Thursday 8 April 2010 12.37pm
Agree with the majority here - whatever political and personal views one may hold, it's hard to fault either Simon or Val on the question of whether they are hard-working or not.

On a slightly more mundane matter, does anyone know for sure how the registration deadlines work for the election? I have two new flatmates as of the weekend before last, and so I called up Southwark 9 days ago to ask for a new household registration form. Their website says this needs to be returned by April 12th to be valid in time for the elections.

Having not received it, I rang again today. I was told they had looked, seen I was already on the register, and therefore decided not to send me the form. Explaining, again, that it was not required for me but because of a change in the household, they have agreed to send it - it should be with me "by next Wednesday". For some reason they needed my land line number and the name of one of my flatmates to do this, though that wasn't enough to amend their records.

They tell me that it will all be fine as long as it is returned by April 20th. I know that is the deadline for individual registrations suggested by the Electoral Commission on their website - is this also correct for household registrations? The "12th April" statement on the Southwark website is worrying me, since I can't see to what else it could refer.
Thursday 8 April 2010 2.34pm
beingjdc - having just moved to Lewisham, I went to their council website, and downloaded a form, filled it in, and posted it back. maybe this is possible for Southwark, and you wouldn't have to wait for it to turn up in the post.

... I've just checked their website, they won't send out the forms electronically, you have to get one posted, but you can send it back electronically, either by fax, or email, so as long as you fill it in quickly when you get it and send it back, you might get it back in time, otherwise they'll have to vote at their previous address.
Thursday 8 April 2010 2.41pm
JonR wrote:
beingjdc - having just moved to Lewisham, I went to their council website, and downloaded a form, filled it in, and posted it back. maybe this is possible for Southwark, and you wouldn't have to wait for it to turn up in the post.

Thanks. You would have thought, wouldn't you?

There's no mention of it here, saying you can't even get a form at a One Stop Shop, you have to go to the shop and ask for them to post it...

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200033/elections/1311/how_to_register_to_vote

Generic single-person forms are available to download from third=party sites, but I can see huge potential for them messing that up and replacing me instead of adding new people!
Thursday 8 April 2010 3.14pm
beingjdc wrote:
You would have thought, wouldn't you?

Maybe it's a counter fraud measure of some kind? Otherwise it is difficult to understand all right.
Thursday 8 April 2010 7.57pm
Gary - At first I read this and thouhgt somebody was trying to discredit you, but after reading through what you've posted here and the guff on your website, you really do come across as a complete tool. Maybe you should concentrate on your own policies and proposals rather than bad mouthing others.

Good luck. You'll need it.
Thursday 8 April 2010 8.11pm
Gary Bland wrote:
But I didn't hide the fact I am a Conservative. I was not making a snide comment or political point on the quiet. I gave my name and a link to my website which says I am a local Conservative.

You certainly did not say that you were standing as a Conservative candidate for the Council when you slagged off both the Lib Dem and Labour parliamentary candidates on a non-political social forum. You name means nothing to most of us, and a little link under your name hardly draws attention to itself. Try visible honesty and accountability not the sort of self justification used belatedly by our wonderful MPs AFTER they were found out.
Thursday 8 April 2010 8.35pm
you can just register through this website - much easier!

www.aboutmyvote.co.uk

not sure if this updates their council tax systems automatically tho so if you're registered for the single person council tax discount it may be best to call that dept to tell them of any change.

hope this helps :-)
Thursday 8 April 2010 9.05pm
I've personally always found Val much more responsive than Hughes and as a person I'd potentially consider voting for her. But given that she's aligned to labour it's never going to happen, I can't forgive Labour for it's poor law, illegal participation in war and insulting attitude towards the voting public.
Thursday 8 April 2010 9.11pm
INDOMIE wrote:
you can just register through this website - much easier!
www.aboutmyvote.co.uk

not sure if this updates their council tax systems automatically tho so if you're registered for the single person council tax discount it may be best to call that dept to tell them of any change.

hope this helps :-)

Thanks, but not really - you can't actually register through that website. You can fill in a form, print it off, and post it. Which may be what I have to do in the end.

You also have to do one per person and I am CONVINCED (after losing my vote in the 2004 Euro elections in a similar way) that if I do that for my flatmates, I will get replaced on the register instead of them just being added. So I want to do a whole-household one.
Thursday 8 April 2010 9.42pm
I see our councillor, Anood, is now standing as Lib Dem candidate for Ilford!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions