Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Friday 9 April 2010 7.42am
these are professional politicians who hire themselves around in the same way as footballers...has shawcross ever done a proper job? did we not get her on a free transfer from croydon? this breed of politician is what was wrong with the last parliament and epitomise the corruption exposed in the expenses scandal. there i've said it, i'm voting for simon!
Friday 9 April 2010 8.36am
boroughpaul wrote:
these are professional politicians who hire themselves around in the same way as footballers...has shawcross ever done a proper job? did we not get her on a free transfer from croydon? this breed of politician is what was wrong with the last parliament and epitomise the corruption exposed in the expenses scandal. there i've said it, i'm voting for simon!

That's a slightly curious line of attack, isn't it? I mean, Simon's been a full-time politician since he was about 30 years old, and before that he was a lawyer. Val has been a full-time politician for 13 years, before which she worked for the WI, the commonwealth secretariat and, yes, the Labour Party.

I'm not sure it tells you anything useful, but insofar as it does, there's not much in it anyway.
Friday 9 April 2010 9.03am
I think Boroughpaul summarises quite nicely and I believe we did get Val on a free transfer from Croydon! I don't think the problem is necessarily 'career politicians', rather those that profess to be 100% committed and have local ties, only then to move on just as soon as the next opportunity arises - example; our Lib Dem councillor who is now standing in Ilford. Val lives in SE19 (as per her website), yet she is standing as candidate for Bermondsey. Given that we know that she was previously a councillor at Croydon Council, presumably she decided she wanted 'better things', hence her 'commitment' to Southwark....

This is all rubbish; Simon Hughes lives in his constituency and is therefore, in my opinion, surely going to be more interested in local issues than Val who, arguably, would be more interested in ensuring the area where she lives is as good as it can be.
Friday 9 April 2010 2.30pm
beingjdc wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

That's a slightly curious line of attack, isn't it? I mean, Simon's been a full-time politician since he was about 30 years old, and before that he was a lawyer. Val has been a full-time politician for 13 years, before which she worked for the WI, the commonwealth secretariat and, yes, the Labour Party.

I'm not sure it tells you anything useful, but insofar as it does, there's not much in it anyway.
full-time politician...WI...commonwealth secretariat...labour party...hmmm and the real job she has ever done is???
Friday 9 April 2010 2.42pm
boroughpaul wrote:
WI...commonwealth secretariat...labour party...hmmm and the real job she has ever done is???

Oh right, you're one of those. I thought you actually meant that jobs in politics weren't real jobs, you actually mean anything you happen to think isn't a real job.

To be honest if I had to pick, I'd rather have more charity staff in Parliament than more lawyers, whatever you think of the realness of each line of work.
Friday 9 April 2010 2.46pm
to me a real job (as a prerequisite to being a politician) is one where you have employed peopleor created jobs or produced something that provides something useful to this country (eg a product to export)
she looks like a pen pusher to me
Friday 9 April 2010 3.13pm
boroughpaul wrote:
to me a real job (as a prerequisite to being a politician) is one where you have employed peopleor created jobs or produced something that provides something useful to this country (eg a product to export)

But Simon Hughes wouldnt qualify under this description of a "real job" either so why single out Val Shawcross?

Personally I despair of artificial requirements like having previously worked in a job that is deemed "acceptable" or having an appropriate postcode.

Both Simon Hughes and Val Shawcross are very good public servants and would be make very good MPs, we are lucky to have them both standing here.
Friday 9 April 2010 3.27pm
boroughpaul wrote:

By that definition, none of the (20 or so) people in my office have a real job. Do you think I should tell them?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 9 April 2010 3.32pm
but why? if you are going to pontificate over every going concern, manage the nation's economy, employ millions of public servants, deal with foreign governments, even declare war for goodness sake you would hope politicians had a little more on their CV than a pen pushing job in their own party or whatever. admittedly simon hughes hasn't done much else either but he is at least experienced and has a record of putting his electorate's interest first. shawcross is a very good case for party primaries to choose the best candidate rather than the choice of candidate being down to a handful of apparatchiks in a smoke-filled room.
Friday 9 April 2010 3.34pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
By that definition, none of the (20 or so) people in my office have a real job. Do you think I should tell them?

It would descend into tedious argument, I imagine. I'd be forced to argue that my time in marketing 'created jobs' as if I got customers for the products, people had to be employed to make them. Or, I suppose, that my year as a tourist guide counted as a type of export.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network